Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

power question for AP335 on a HP 2530-8G-PoEP Switch

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  power question for AP335 on a HP 2530-8G-PoEP Switch

Posted Mar 26, 2019 12:11 PM

I've done some searching but didn't find anything and I'm kinda new to this so be gentle. :)

I have a HP 2530-8G-PoEP Switch and three Aruba 335 APs.

If I plug two 335 APs into the switch everything is fine, all green lights.

But If I plug a third in boom! the third AP powers on for a few minutes and then no lights anywhere, either on the switch or the AP. The other two APs are still functioning though.

I know how to increase the "maximum wattage" setting on the specific port on the switch but is that what I'm supposed to do?

Or is this switch not compatable with this model AP? And if it's not how would I go about knowing that info in the future? What do I look for?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: power question for AP335 on a HP 2530-8G-PoEP Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2019 03:14 PM

POE budget on that switch is only 67W, so there's only room for two full powered APs. You could look at trying to configure the switch to only account for actual power use against the budget, and enable IPM on the APs to try and lower the power, but three APs might be tight. The 335s are pretty power hungry

• 3.  RE: power question for AP335 on a HP 2530-8G-PoEP Switch

Posted Mar 27, 2019 09:09 AM

Thank you!

I'm surprised that the switch wouldn't be able to power the APs. I figured 8 ports = 8 APs.

I'm thinking I should check my other switches.

They are all 2930F and some have 25 or more 305APs on each.

Is there a power rating I should be looking at or some kind of formula?

• 4.  RE: power question for AP335 on a HP 2530-8G-PoEP Switch

Posted Mar 27, 2019 10:35 AM