View Only
last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with Static Routes on HPE MSR 954

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Problem with Static Routes on HPE MSR 954

Posted Nov 22, 2018 08:02 AM

Hello,

we are currently changing our Routers from Cisco to HPE and stumbled on a, hopefully small problem.

We have the following route configured on our Cisco devices.

ip route X.X.X.X X.X.X.X DHCP

So my question are there any Commands on the HPE Devices that are similar?

Our setup is the following:

We have several small branch offices that connect to our main location via VPN. However our Router is behind a second Router which is provided from the ISP. We have no way to configure anything on the ISP Router. We get our IP via DHCP from the ISP Router. Our router creates a tunnel and we forward all traffic into the Tunnel. So our default route is  ip route-static 0.0.0.0 0 Tunnel 1 plus a Route to the Tunnel Destination and the public address of our VPN Gateway. If we enter the next hop address manually there is no problem. The Tunnel comes up and traffic is possible. The problem is the ISP uses different private networks on his routers.  In the past we could just use the mentioned command on the Cisco router.

I hope I could describe the problem adequately and apologize for the poor english.

#Network
    #comware7
    #routing

• 2.  RE: Problem with Static Routes on HPE MSR 954

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2018 05:31 AM

Hello,

The similar command for ip route is hpe networking device is "ip route-static". Below is an example for default route

ip route-static 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x preference x

For configuration & command reference guides please use below link

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home/documentHome?document_type=5000001&language_code=1871440&sort_by=relevance&sp4ts.oid=1008995571

• 3.  RE: Problem with Static Routes on HPE MSR 954

Posted Nov 23, 2018 06:44 AM

Hello ,

thanks for your reply. Maybe I wasn't precise enough. 

I already know how to setup a static default route.

Our Router builds an Tunnel behind another router.

We are sending all our traffic in this Tunnel.

This means our  routes looks like this:

ip route-static 0.0.0.0 0  Tunnel 1

ip route-static <Tunnel destination Address> Next Hop

ip route-static <Our VPN Gateway Adress> Next Hop

So until now we enter the next hop manually. However in our previous cisco configuration we were able to use the DHCP default gateway as a next hop.
    If we don`t specify the routes to the Tunnel destiniation and the VPN Gateway address, the router doesn`t know the routes anymore, because as soon as the tunnel interface comes up he is sending all the traffic into the tunnel.

I hope this describes the problem more accurately.