View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

Recommendations on enable routing on Aruba 2930F remotely

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Recommendations on enable routing on Aruba 2930F remotely

Posted yesterday

Hello team!!!

I want to enable routing, on a Aruba 2930F stack, remotely.

We have actually the stack in production, this is on the "Management VLAN" and we have some computers on the same VLAN.  I can access to this computers remotely and also I can access to the stack through the VPN.

If I access to the stack, using telnet or ssh, and run the "ip routing" command to enable routing on the stack, this will be continue being accessible?

I need to be in the Management VLAN to do this?  Or this is mandatory to do this through the console port of one swith on the stack?

Also, the switch will route between the management VLAN and another common VLAN if I create static routes for this?

Regards,

Damián

• 2.  RE: Recommendations on enable routing on Aruba 2930F remotely

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 12 hours ago

This is a tricky operation. It probably is needed to remove the management vlan command; check this discussion for some more information to understand the management VLAN better. At least make sure that before enabling ip-routing you have a default route or you will lose connectivity. If you have another system (jumphost, other switch from which you can ssh/telnet) in the same management VLAN, which remains accessible when you enable routing on your switch, you may use that to perform the changes as within the same VLAN/subnet you can still connect even if there is no routing. If you refer to management vlan just as a vlan that is now configured to access the switch, you probably don't have the management-vlan feature enabled, but have a look at it before making the changes.

Also the 'reload after' command may be useful to reload your switch in case you lose connection:

sw00# reload after
     [[DD:]HH:]MM          Enter a time.
    sw00# reload after 10
     <cr>

and to cancel use: 'no reload'.

But still, if you can test the change on a switch that you have physical access to, it may be more comfortable to make the change.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Recommendations on enable routing on Aruba 2930F remotely

Posted 6 hours ago

Thanks a lot, Herman!!!

I did not know I could create routes before enable routing in the stack!

I neither know about the reload command, this seems very usefull!!!

I will try to configure this stack, this week or the next, and I will update the post.

Regards,

Damián