Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Replacing in place Controller based APs (100/200 series) with 515s managed by Central side by side (1 for 1)?

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Replacing in place Controller based APs (100/200 series) with 515s managed by Central side by side (1 for 1)?

Posted Nov 29, 2023 02:32 PM

Hello all!

I've got an upcoming project to replace about (7) 100 series APs and (33) 200 series APs with Aruba 515s, and migrating management from on prem controllers over to Aruba Central.

What is the best practice way to do this? The client is a hospital, so ideally i'd like to be able to swap APs one by one with the new 515s managed by Central.

However, i've tried doing this sort of method in an IAP environment, and ran into an issue where the new 515 APs would never 'come online' in Central, because they were sort of 'stuck' in limbo trying to join the IAP environment, rather than Central. This happened as soon as i put the NEW 515 APs on the same network as the current IAPs.

As a work around, we just ended up taking all APs down "ripping off the bandaid" and were able to bring up the NEW 515 APs in Central, since there werent any IAPs online to try and join to.

Figured i'd reach out on here to ask what the best method is to do this sort of 'side by side' deployment/refresh. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Any help would be awesome!! Thanks all.

• 2.  RE: Replacing in place Controller based APs (100/200 series) with 515s managed by Central side by side (1 for 1)?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2023 06:25 PM

one way would be to have the new AP-515s in a new VLAN that is not shared with the old gear, that way they will not join the old instant AP cluster.

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.
    ------------------------------