Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Replacing in place Controller based APs (100/200 series) with 515s managed by Central side by side (1 for 1)?

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Replacing in place Controller based APs (100/200 series) with 515s managed by Central side by side (1 for 1)?

Posted Nov 29, 2023 02:32 PM

Hello all!

I've got an upcoming project to replace about (7) 100 series APs and (33) 200 series APs with Aruba 515s, and migrating management from on prem controllers over to Aruba Central.

What is the best practice way to do this? The client is a hospital, so ideally i'd like to be able to swap APs one by one with the new 515s managed by Central.

However, i've tried doing this sort of method in an IAP environment, and ran into an issue where the new 515 APs would never 'come online' in Central, because they were sort of 'stuck' in limbo trying to join the IAP environment, rather than Central. This happened as soon as i put the NEW 515 APs on the same network as the current IAPs.

As a work around, we just ended up taking all APs down "ripping off the bandaid" and were able to bring up the NEW 515 APs in Central, since there werent any IAPs online to try and join to.

Figured i'd reach out on here to ask what the best method is to do this sort of 'side by side' deployment/refresh. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Any help would be awesome!! Thanks all.

• 2.  RE: Replacing in place Controller based APs (100/200 series) with 515s managed by Central side by side (1 for 1)?

Posted Nov 29, 2023 06:25 PM

There may be a better way but I believe if you configure a new AP management VLAN on the switch and enable each port to use it as the default untagged VLAN before you plug in each new AP you would be good.  None of the new APs would see the old APs.

The new management VLAN would need internet access to Aruba Central.

• 3.  RE: Replacing in place Controller based APs (100/200 series) with 515s managed by Central side by side (1 for 1)?

Posted Nov 30, 2023 03:59 PM

new AP management VLAN on the switch , did the job for us.

Be carefull with cloud managed Unifi USW-PRO switches to wait 1 minute after changing VLAN