Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

RPVST on VLAN and a lot of Event ID 5007 topology changes

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  RPVST on VLAN and a lot of Event ID 5007 topology changes

Posted 3 days ago

I have an 8320 that is running RPVST. 

in the course of 24hrs is am seeing about 150-200 Event ID 5007 Topology change generated messages in the logs. I am looking at show spanning-tree and diag-dump, but I'm not seeing anything that is standing out. I know a handful are ok, but this seems like more than normal. Is there anything in particular I should check

• 2.  RE: RPVST on VLAN and a lot of Event ID 5007 topology changes

Posted 3 days ago

I had something similar happen to me and turned out to be a loop issue with a piece of ISP equipment. Try enabling loop-protect on your uplink ports with the loop-protect action do-not-disable command and see if you start seeing loop messages in your logs.

switch# config

switch(config)# interface 1/1/1 <- uplink port

switch(config-if)# loop-protect

switch(config-if)# loop-protect action do-not-disable

• 3.  RE: RPVST on VLAN and a lot of Event ID 5007 topology changes

Posted 3 days ago

Hi

Can you identify the source of the topology changes? Either it's a (or even multiple) local interface or it's generated by another bridge that participates in the STP topology.

If coming from another bridge, you should investigate on that bridge. A possible source could be that you have edge ports (i.e. where a client computer that comes and goes is connected to) where you forgot to configure "port-type admin-edge". If a switch doesn't consider a port as edge port, TCNs are generated if the interface comes up or goes down.

Could you please post the full log message (event 5007) you see?

Regards,

Thomas