Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Setting up internal DHCP server on HP Procurve 2920-48G (J9728A)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Setting up internal DHCP server on HP Procurve 2920-48G (J9728A)

Posted Jun 13, 2016 05:28 AM

Hi all,

I have managed to set up multiple VLANs for my small office network and I would like to set up a DHCP server on my HP Procurve 2920-48G (J9728A) such that devices connected to each VLAN would be serviced by the DHCP server and provided with an IP.

I have done some research and it seems that the HP2920 switch does indeed offer DHCP server functionality and I have found some guides discussing how to set up DHCP server such as: 

http://community.hpe.com/t5/ProCurve-ProVision-Based/How-to-create-DHCP-server-in-2920-Procurve-switch/m-p/6752273#M8078

However, when attempting to follow the same configuration steps, I found that my HP2920 switch does not offer the command "dhcp-server".  When attempting to user "dhcp-server" command, I am prompted with a "Invalid Input" error. Checking the list of available commands via "help" command verifies that there is indeed no "dhcp-server" command. Therefore, I would like to seek advice regarding how to enable the dhcp-server command/function. I would really appreciate the assistance as I do not have prior networking experience. Thank you!

#DHCP
    #DHCPServer
    #HP2920

• 2.  RE: Setting up internal DHCP server on HP Procurve 2920-48G (J9728A)

Posted Jun 13, 2016 05:51 AM

Hi,

you might need to update your Switchsoftware to a newer version, as the DHCP-Server is a relative new feature for the 2920 switches.

hth

• 3.  RE: Setting up internal DHCP server on HP Procurve 2920-48G (J9728A)

Posted Jun 15, 2016 01:36 AM

Thank you for your suggestion. The command appears after updating the firmware.