Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Setting up new IAP on a separate VLan so It will not interfere with Production

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Setting up new IAP on a separate VLan so It will not interfere with Production

Posted Mar 14, 2023 04:59 PM

We have 1 site that is still using an instant cluster.

The Instant clusters has verision 8.X installed and we have 3 other access points that are still in their boxes.  I thought about setting up the new Access Points on a diferetn VLan than what the production WiFi is on and just manually upgrade the OS to the same version of the IAP's.

I just heard that it is not a good idea to jump too many versions ahead at 1 time so I thought about manually installing the IAP Operating system version on the new Access points and then convert then to Campus Mode Access points later.    Maybe it is not necessary.... But my question here to day is:

Question1:  Why do the new Access points (IAP-325) boot up on a separate VLan,  I can login to them with the default username/password credentials and then after 2 minutes... the AP automatically restarts?

The Access Point did not download any firmware or any configuration, it just restarts after 2 about minutes over and over.

------------------------------
    Stavros K

• 2.  RE: Setting up new IAP on a separate VLan so It will not interfere with Production

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 14, 2023 05:08 PM

new IAPs dont bootup in separate VLAN on their own.

they will use whatever VLAN that is configured on the LAN switch port that they are connected to.

if the switch port is configured as trunk port, then the IAPs will use the native untagged VLAN for their VLAN.

when they boot up they will try to discover other IAPs . Here is the discovery logic they use.

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Setting up new IAP on a separate VLan so It will not interfere with Production

Posted Mar 14, 2023 05:45 PM

So if I wanted to boot up an IAP on a different VLan from where the IAP cluster is in use (used in Production).  That switch port is not trucked and is just an untagged port, then why does the IAP reboot itself after 2 minutes?

Stavros K

• 4.  RE: Setting up new IAP on a separate VLan so It will not interfere with Production

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 14, 2023 06:36 PM

it might reboot it self becuase it does not see any traffic on it or it does not get an ip address.

is that VLAN that you have the new AP, does it provide DHCP services and at least does it allow to reach say DNS server?

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.