View Only
last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

SFP module EEPROM code for A5800

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  SFP module EEPROM code for A5800

Posted May 08, 2023 09:50 AM

Hello,
    I've elderly switches HP/H3C A5800 (JC100A, JC103A,…). And I've a lot of SFP modules. Some with HP coding, some with H3C coding. Some H3C works perfetly, but some H3C works, but not to 100%. So, the line lights up, the data flows through, but in console is message:

"This is not a supported transceiver for this platform. HPE does not guarantee the normal operation or maintenance of unsupported transceivers. Please review the platform datasheet on the HPE web site or contact your HPE sales rep for a list of supported transceivers."

And not work DDM and is not possible to read manufacturer information (S/N and date code).
    Identically works HP coded SFP modules.

I have found the following about the funcioning code:
    Block A0h:
    in bytes 60h - 62h is string "H3C"
    bytes 63h - 74h are set to 00h
    in bytes 75h - 7Fh are some hexacodes, I don't know their meaning.

In block A2h in page 02h is H3C specific code:
    bytes 80h - 93h is serial number (ASCII)
    bytes 94h, 95h are set to 00h
    bytes 96h - 9Dh is date code (ASCII)
    bytes 9Eh - FFh are a mystery for me.

When I write code from block A2h page 02h of funcioning SFP module into non-functioning module, this one will start wirking better. The warning message disappears, DDM starts to work. But there are wrong serial number and date code.
    If I change serial number and/or date code in A2h block, my H3C/HP A5800 switch stops identifying the module as a compatible. Somewhere is some checksum / hash.

My question is - know anyone exact structure of data in A0h block at addresses 60h - 7Fh and in block A2h (page 02h) at addresses 80h - FFh?

------------------------------
    Zbyněk Burget
    Czech Republic
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: SFP module EEPROM code for A5800

Posted May 25, 2023 09:52 AM

Hello, The exact structure and meaning of the data in block A0h (addresses 60h-7Fh) and block A2h (page 02h, addresses 80h-FFh) of the SFP modules you mentioned (HP/H3C A5800) are proprietary information specific to those modules. The structure and interpretation of the data in these blocks are not publicly documented by the manufacturer, and it is likely that they use some form of checksum or proprietary encoding. Reverse engineering or tampering with the data in these blocks to modify the module behavior or bypass compatibility checks may violate manufacturer warranties and support agreements. It's important to note that using unsupported transceivers can have unpredictable effects on the operation and performance of your network equipment.