Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

SNMPv3 on Aruba 6000 / librenms

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  SNMPv3 on Aruba 6000 / librenms

Posted Jul 08, 2022 02:55 PM
    Good afternoon.
    I'm struggling to enroll our Aruba 6000 switches into librenms. So far I have:
    - created an snmpv3 user with auth/priv
    - created a context, assigned the user to the context, and assigned the context to VRF default (no mgmt on 6000) - not sure what a context does to be honest
    - disabled older snmp standards (snmpv3 only)

Unfortunately I get no handshake when I try to add the switch to librenms. It says 'no reply' with the provided credentials. I tried multiple times to make sure there isn't a typo anywhere, so I think I'm missing something. Any pointers? 

(PS: I've enrolled dozens of 2530s and 2930s into librenms. Somehow nothing seems that simple with AOS-CX)

• 2.  RE: SNMPv3 on Aruba 6000 / librenms

Posted Jul 08, 2022 04:04 PM
    Hello Ronald,

mostly the same picture here:

- LibreNMS last version
    - all 2530, 2540, 2930M, 2930F work perfectly with SNMPv3 authpriv
    - completely disabled SNMP v1 and v2
    - going to deploy some Aruba 6000

that is why I am very interested in this topic.

If the context you talk about on the 6000 ends up to be a SNMPv3 context, then I suppose the problem may be that LibreNMS does not support per-device SNMPv3 context, for example see:

Toshiba e-studio printers uses "MFP" as a context in SNMPv3 · Issue #13465 · librenms/librenms

I hit this limitation on a HP laserjet printer, which have a hard-coded SNMPv3 context string "Jetdirect"; on the other hand, when I queried the device via command line with snmpwalk adding the context string along with the authpriv parameters, it would reply as expected.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    GG

• 3.  RE: SNMPv3 on Aruba 6000 / librenms

Posted Jul 08, 2022 04:21 PM
    Hm, I'm not sure this is the same scenario. The context on the 6000 seems to be an option (I think). I tried without at first and got no response, so I assumed maybe a context needed to be defined - but no luck. I haven't tried snmpwalk yet. I may get to that next week. I'm hoping for a more 'standard' solution though. Hope dies last.

• 4.  RE: SNMPv3 on Aruba 6000 / librenms
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 10, 2022 04:42 AM
    Hi Ronald,

my librenms installation is working fine with AOS-CX switch. I didn´t have to make any changes to librenms, so I´m posting the snmp config of my switches - maybe that is helpful for you:

snmp-server vrf default
    snmp-server system-location "xxx"
    snmp-server snmpv3-only
    snmpv3 user prtg auth sha auth-pass ciphertext xxx priv aes priv-pass ciphertext xxx 

• 5.  RE: SNMPv3 on Aruba 6000 / librenms

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 11, 2022 07:07 AM
    Me too!

Maybe the culprit would be the absence of the snmp-server trap-source interface vrf configuration option?

A working configuration I'm using with LibreNMS is (with vrf mgmt on Aruba 8320):

snmp-server vrf <vrf>
    snmp-server system-description <description>
    snmp-server system-location <location>
    snmp-server system-contact <contact>
    snmpv3 user <user> auth sha auth-pass ciphertext <auth-pass-cipher> priv aes priv-pass ciphertext <priv-pass-cipher>
    snmp-server host <host> inform version v3 user <user>
    snmp-server host <host> trap version v3 user <user>

• 6.  RE: SNMPv3 on Aruba 6000 / librenms

Posted Jul 11, 2022 11:29 AM
    That did it. I was missing the "snmp-server vrf default" variable. Thanks everyone!