Security

View Only
last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Subject: Assistance Needed: Configuring RBAC on Aruba 2930F with ClearPass

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Subject: Assistance Needed: Configuring RBAC on Aruba 2930F with ClearPass

Posted 11 hours ago

Hello Aruba Community,

I am currently working on setting up Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) for SSH and web management on an Aruba 2930F switch using Aruba OS X 16.11, integrated with ClearPass for user authentication and authorization.

Current Setup:

• My RADIUS connection is established.
    • I can authenticate endpoints correctly.

RBAC Configuration:

I have tried to configure the switch as follows:

radius-server host <ClearPass_IP> dynamic-authorization

aaa authentication login privilege-mode
    aaa authentication ssh login radius local
    aaa authentication ssh enable radius local
    aaa authentication console login local
    aaa authentication console enable local
    aaa authentication web login radius local
    aaa authentication web enable radius local
    aaa authorization commands radius
    aaa authorization commands access-level manager

NB:

I also have a working device with Comware OS, if that context is helpful for troubleshooting.

Issues:

Despite these configurations, the RBAC settings do not seem to be applied correctly. Users are logging in via SSH or the web interface.

Request for Assistance:

I am new to this technology and would greatly appreciate any guidance or insights on the following:

1. Are there any additional configurations required on the switch to ensure RBAC functions correctly?
    2. What are the correct configurations for the profiles on ClearPass to support RBAC?
    3. Recommended troubleshooting steps to identify and resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,

• 2.  RE: Subject: Assistance Needed: Configuring RBAC on Aruba 2930F with ClearPass

Posted 11 hours ago

Hi

Do you see any authentication requests in Access Tracker at all?

I don't think it should be needed, but in our config we always define a server-group:

aaa server-group radius "CPPM" host <server-ip>

and add this group as parameter in each of the lines, like this:
    aaa authentication ssh login radius server-group "CPPM" local

In the enforcement profile you can return the Aruba-Admin-Role attribute to assign a predefined administrative role on the switch.

------------------------------
    Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    MVP Guru 2024, ACEX, ACDX #1600, ACCX #1335, ACX-Network Security, Aruba SME, ACMP, ACSA
    Aranya AB
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 3.  RE: Subject: Assistance Needed: Configuring RBAC on Aruba 2930F with ClearPass

Posted 10 hours ago

Hi Jonas,

I have define a server-group (named "clearpass") and i tried to use a configuration like :

aaa authentication web login radius server-group clearpass local
    aaa authentication web enable radius server-group clearpass local
    aaa authentication ssh login radius server-group clearpass local
    aaa authentication ssh enable radius server-group clearpass local

But it does not work for the web and ssh.

This is my profile on clearpass:

If you need more information, tell me.

• 4.  RE: Subject: Assistance Needed: Configuring RBAC on Aruba 2930F with ClearPass

Posted 9 hours ago

Hi

Do you get the request to ClearPass and get an Accept in Access Tracker and can you provide any logs from the switch?

As you wrote in your initial post RADIUS does work for clients, so the RADIUS configuration on the switch should be ok and also the shared secret with ClearPass. I would like to see if the user login request hits the correct service in ClearPass and also verify that the service returns the correct enforcement profile.

If all these steps are ok, next step is to check 

Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    MVP Guru 2024, ACEX, ACDX #1600, ACCX #1335, ACX-Network Security, Aruba SME, ACMP, ACSA
    Aranya AB
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 5.  RE: Subject: Assistance Needed: Configuring RBAC on Aruba 2930F with ClearPass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 8 hours ago

The admin role that you return is in an Aruba RADIUS Attribute. The 2930F uses the HPE RADIUS Dictionary.

I don't think you can assign an admin role through RADIUS. I could not find that in the documentation.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.