Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

SW 2930f Firmware Downgrade

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  SW 2930f Firmware Downgrade

Posted May 08, 2023 07:14 AM

Hi,

I have a 2930f with the following firmware:

Aruba-2930F-48G-740W-PoEP-4SFPP# show flash
    Image             Size (bytes) Date     Version
    ----------------- ------------ -------- --------------
    Primary Image    :    28793152 12/22/17 WC.16.05.0004
    Secondary Image  :    28837259 06/20/18 WC.16.05.0009

Boot ROM Version
    ----------------
    Primary Boot ROM Version   : WC.16.01.0004
    Secondary Boot ROM Version : WC.16.01.0004

Default Boot Image   : Primary
    Default Boot ROM     : Primary

For testing pourposes, i do want to downgrade the secondary partition to the WC.16.03.0005 which has a Boot ROM Version of WC.16.01.0003.
    I've tried the downgrade but i'm getting an error when uploading the image. Can this be due to the different ROM versions?

thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: SW 2930f Firmware Downgrade

Posted May 08, 2023 07:35 AM

What is the error that you see?
    Why would you want to downgrade to 16.03? Your 16.05.0009 is even almost 6 years old.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: SW 2930f Firmware Downgrade

Posted May 08, 2023 08:07 AM

hi,

the output error is the following:

Aruba-2930F-48G-740W-PoEP-4SFPP(config)# copy tftp flash 192.168.2.2 WC_16_03_00
    05.swi secondary
    The secondary image will be deleted.

Continue (y/n)? y
    000M Wrong file.
    Aruba-2930F-48G-740W-PoEP-4SFPP(config)#

I do need to downgrade for testing pourposes for an old equipment in customer dependencies.

thanks! :)

• 4.  RE: SW 2930f Firmware Downgrade

Posted May 08, 2023 08:33 AM

Does the Wrong file show up immediately? Or do you see the file downloading first?
    If it is immediately, are you sure that the correct image is on your TFTP server?
    Or can you try to upload the firmware through the web interface?

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: SW 2930f Firmware Downgrade

Posted May 08, 2023 08:54 AM

Hi,

I've tried also from the Web interface, and at the beginning it starts the download and then it prompts an error for the upgrade.

In the TFTP the error prompts directly, but everything is fine during the transfer as it has been checked.

It might be due to the ROM version? The actual ROM is .0004 and the desired ROM for the downgrade is .0003

• 6.  RE: SW 2930f Firmware Downgrade

Posted May 12, 2023 03:22 AM

I don't downgrade switches that much, so not fully sure if it is supported, so also not sure if a too new ROM may be an issue. Normally it's not as newer ROM/boot images fix issues from earlier versions, but it may be the case.

You may try to check with Aruba support if they know what the issue may be that you can't downgrade your switch, and if that is even supported.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------