Comware

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

Switch 5406R VSF DAC Link

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  Switch 5406R VSF DAC Link

Posted Oct 13, 2023 11:11 AM

Hi, I have a question to ask, I currently have two Aruba 5406R zl2 switches connected in VSF via 2 Aruba 2-port 40GbE QSFP+ v3 zl2 Modules (J9996A) and 2 HPE X242 40G QSFP+ to QSFP+ 1m DAC Cables (JH234A).
    I should move the second switch to another room 340m away, I have set up 24-fiber MM OM4 fiber cabling between the two rooms (12 LC / LC pairs).
    To restore the connection between the two switches, I would like to replace the 2 DAC cables with 4 GBIC HPE X142 40G QSFP+ MPO eSR4 300M XCVR (JH233A) and use 4 split cables "MPO to 4x LC MMF" on the already laid Multimode fiber with LC connectors. I would like to know if, in your opinion, this scenario is feasible and especially if I will get the same speed of 40+40 Gbps.  
    Since I will only use the MPO split cables as optical couplers, can you confirm that NO switch configuration is necessary?
    Thank you in advance.

• 2.  RE: Switch 5406R VSF DAC Link

Posted Nov 08, 2023 05:14 AM

I implemented such a connection at a customer site 7 years ago (2x40G trunk using SR4 transceivers, MPO/LC breakouts & 110m of OM4). No specific configuration was required on the switchports. The traffic is load balanced between the two 40G links according to trunk-load-balance. I experienced no performance issues.

• 3.  RE: Switch 5406R VSF DAC Link

Posted Nov 09, 2023 02:44 AM

Hey @Imonetti,

one little advice from me is, that you should always check the maximum allowed distance.

On your project it should work fine as you break those 2x 40G Links into 8x 10G by splitting those.

10G are rated to work for a distance of up 500m (~1650ft.) on a OM4-Fiber. 

But if you would like to save some fibers for further use, like FibreChannel or other Switches you'd have to move over to Single-Mode as with plain 40G the max. distance is onle 125m (~400ft.) on OM4 fibre. Check with wikipedia or the Aruba-Learning-Courses for more insight in thoses limits.

Have fun diving in those little projects. 

They are fun, sometimes challanging and afterwards rewarding.

all the best

Franz

also: discussions about those 5406-Switches should be in the aruba OS-S Forum

------------------------------
    prefers to not experiment with live customer equipment...

• 4.  RE: Switch 5406R VSF DAC Link

Posted Nov 10, 2023 04:31 AM

Okay Thank you that reassures me a lot.
    Unfortunately I now have a problem with compatible g-bics not being recognized (a hard blow).
    As soon as I fix this problem I will be more comfortable that I won't have any bad surprises. 

• 5.  RE: Switch 5406R VSF DAC Link

Posted Nov 10, 2023 08:47 AM

Hi @Imonetti,

please check that your Transceiver is compatible with the Partnumber JH233A, as only this on works over a distance of 300m(~1000ft.) via Multimode-Fiber. JH231A will stop around 125m(~400ft.)!

If needed (warning, this may void your warranty) you could use the command: allow-unsupported-transceiver in global config context.

This command will activate those transceivers only if your firmware is higher as 16.02.xxxx as stated by aruba-tech-docs. (see info here Unsupported transceiver mode

Arubanetworks remove preview
    Unsupported transceiver mode
    The term "transceiver" applies collectively to optical transceivers, DAC and AOC cables, and Port Adapters. The "allow-unsupported-transceiver" ("UT-mode") feature provides the flexibility to use non-Aruba/HPE transceiver products. Allowing use of unsupported products in Aruba switches can assist in the initial installation or validation of switching products while you obtain fully supported products.
    View this on Arubanetworks >

)

This command must be manually activated but can void your warranty!

Please check this upfront, if your customer is willing to put upwith this risk. Otherwise use only original HPE Hardware (despite pricy).

Best of Luck

Franz

prefers to not experiment with live customer equipment...

• 6.  RE: Switch 5406R VSF DAC Link

Posted Nov 10, 2023 10:58 AM

Hi Franz, thank you for your response.
    I don't know where is the problem, I have already enabled the allow-unsupported-transceiver option but when I hot-remove the DAC transceiver and insert my compatible JH233A, the port LEDs blink red and the tranceivers is not recognized, I also tried to reboot the switches with the transceive inserted but in that case it disables the port, I also tried another brand of compatible JH233A transceivers but get the same result (this test was very expensive)..
    I don't understand if I have to "untie the link" before inserting the JH233A compatible transceivers or it is a hardware problem, ARUBA support wants to change the switches.
    Sorry for my bad english 

• 7.  RE: Switch 5406R VSF DAC Link

Posted Nov 11, 2023 09:22 AM

The original HPE Aruba Networking JH233A is shown as supported in IRIS, and this is confirmed in the Transceiver Guide https://asp.arubanetworks.com/downloads;search=transceiver;sort=RELEASEDATE_DESC;products=Aruba%20Switches

You may want to take up the compatibility claim with the vendor. Apart from anything else, HP Aruba is not a thing, so they might want to get that fixed!

If it is actually properly compatible, the unsupported transceiver option is not required. Unsupported allows to you add many other vendor/third party transceivers that report a different vendor ID code - including those from other parts of HPE like Comware, Servers, Storage.

Richard Litchfield
    Airheads MVP 2020, 2021, 2022