Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Unable to use IAP-225-RW with a AP-205

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Unable to use IAP-225-RW with a AP-205

Posted Apr 20, 2021 03:16 PM
    Hi All 

Wonder if someone can help me. 

I have an IAP-225-RW that I'm using at home standalone, and all has been working fine, but recently, after buying my first home, I decided
    I would love to extend my AP's and have more around. I bought an AP-205 that is working as a standalone device, and is working perfectly, but only
    when either AP is connected to the switch.
    The issue I'm having is, when the 225 is up and live, then I plug in the 205 and allow it to boot, it will only get so far, and only the Lan light will flash and
    it won't fully boot so the WIFI lights are on etc. It will keep trying but won't succeed.
    If I unplug my 225, then the 205 will start up and work without a problem.
    I have also tried to boot up the 205 first, and then plug in the 225, but I then find that the 225 won't fully boot and does something similar to the 205.
    I know both of the devices are a bit different, and both are on different firmware revisions, but can anyone help point me in the right direction please?

The 205 was bought from a guy who know's Aruba, but he's a bit confused what's going on. He has 7 of the 205's running in his home and all is fine, including the one I bought. We have tried changing the Master option, on both devices, and I don't have the roaming on Mesh setup or attempting to right now, but don't know if there's something I'm overseeing here?

The 225 is on Firmware 8.6.0.2
    The 205 I can't remember but it's something like 6.x.x

I have bought some more 205's just in case, I cannot get the 225 to work, but would love to be able to utilise this too.

Thanks for all your help and advice

Mo ​

------------------------------
    Mo Kennedy

• 2.  RE: Unable to use IAP-225-RW with a AP-205

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2021 03:32 PM
    Hi Mo,

The issue here is, that the 205 and the 225 need to have the same software version to form a cluster and the 205 cannot run 8.x software. You need to downgrade the 225 to 6.x.x to meet the software version of the 205. 
    I would go with the latest available software for the 205, which is 6.5.4.19. 

BR
    Florian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Florian Baaske
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.
    Also visit the AirHeads Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ
    Feel free to visit my personal Blog
    https://www.flomain.de

• 3.  RE: Unable to use IAP-225-RW with a AP-205

Posted Apr 21, 2021 02:18 AM
    Hello,

In addition to the firmware version issue, each firmware rev has an iteration for each hardware platform.  As I recall, the 205H is hardware platform Taurus, and the 225 is Centaurus.  I run my home/office on 205H and 315, where the 315 is hardware platform Hercules.

When a new AP joins, the swarm will update to the latest rev from whichever member is on that rev.  If I add a 315 with a newer rev, the 205H units will copy it, then not be able to boot.  I've had to either factory reset with the paper-clip, or use a console cable to interrupt the boot process and enter the "factory" command.

In my environment, I will de-power the 315s to update the 205H units, then de-power the 205Hs and update the 315s.  Once all are on the same firmware, they can inter operate in the swarm again.

When I started working with IAPs, the recommendation was to have each swarm all on the same hardware platform to avoid this issue.  I'm not sure if it was addressed in any of the 8.x releases, but with the latest 6.5 release (needed for the 205 IAPs), it is still a factor.

To create separate swarms, put each in its own VLAN.  Of course, at this point you need to manually synchronize them.  The alternatives are to put them in Aruba Central or in AirWave, and apply the same template to each swarm.

Kind Regards,

Timothy Leadbetter
    ACMP, ACSP, ACCA
    CWNA, CWDP
    ECSE-Design

• 4.  RE: Unable to use IAP-225-RW with a AP-205

Posted Apr 21, 2021 03:25 AM
    Hi Florian and Timothy

Thank you so much for your replies. 

Ok the bit my brain is having a trouble understanding is, can these AP's not work completely independently from each other? 
    For example the 205 is place in one part of the apartment and the 225 is placed somewhere else, but they are not meshed, or have any kind of Roaming, just simply both working on their own? 

If I wanted to put the 225 onto the same version firmware as the 205, what is the best way to do this? I'm kinda new at the standalone IAP style, and only worked on Meraki in some companies, which was all through Meraki Central. 

If you can help a noob, I would appreciate it, with basic step by step instructions. 

I have console cables, and I do work in IT so have technical abilities to a point. 

Thanks so much again to you both, most appreciated for taking the time out of your day

Kind Regards, 

Mo

Mo Kennedy

• 5.  RE: Unable to use IAP-225-RW with a AP-205

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2021 01:29 PM
    Hi Mo,

You can run the AP's in standalone mode. This will prevent them from forming a cluster. 

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_83_WebHelp/Content/Instant_UG/IAP_maintenance/ConvertingIAPtoStandalone.htm

BR
    Florian

Florian Baaske
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.
    Also visit the AirHeads Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ
    Feel free to visit my personal Blog
    https://www.flomain.de

• 6.  RE: Unable to use IAP-225-RW with a AP-205

Posted Apr 22, 2021 04:50 PM
    As Florian remarked, the IAPs can be in stand-alone mode.  This may be what you have in mind, but there are advantages to putting IAPs in a cluster or swarm.

The most significant advantage, in my estimation, is the ability to configure once and have it propagate to other members of the swarm.  Granted, this is less significant where  you have two APs, but in my home network with four APs, single configuration is useful.  So is the ability to use the embedded RADIUS server for WPA2-Enterprise authentication to my user network.

In a cluster, the IAPs form a sort of "hive mind," and while one is elected the "virtual controller," if it fails, any remaining IAP can be elected to take that role.

The constraint, absent Central or AirWave, is that the IAPs need to be able to see each other - to generally be on the same VLAN for management.  In my network, management is in VLAN 10, with VLAN 11 set for family members, and VLAN 13 isolated to terminate on a perimeter firewall for guest users.

If you have a need for discrete APs, rather than a shared configuration model, your choice of standalone IAPs is clear.  But if you want smooth roaming and consistent configuration, the cluster/swarm works for you.

If you don't want to have swarms form automatically, be sure to set auto-join to false on the advanced configuration page.  Also, you can set a static IP address for management, even if you are using DHCP for the APs when they join the network.

Best Regards

Timothy Leadbetter
    ACMP, ACSP, ACCA
    CWNA, CWDP
    ECSE-Design