Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrade order 8.8.0.2 --> 8.10.0.12

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Upgrade order 8.8.0.2 --> 8.10.0.12

Posted 20 days ago

Hi everyone here,

I have ‚inherited' several WI-FI installations, all, let´s say, with a very matured software realease installed, conisting a not clustered MM (ArubaOS 8.8.0.2_81788) (running as an VM on VMware ESXi, a single HW Controller 7030  (ArubaOS 8.8.0.2_81788) and 35 AP-305.

My intention is to update to (ArubaOS-8.10.0.12) (LTS, but old enough to support AP-305) and I want also to rid of the VMware ESXi installation, as they a running on outdated PCs while I have here an large Hyper-V implementation.

A spent some time reading the docs und also watched several interesting YouTube videos, but didn´t find an in what order this has to be done (ie getting my configuration without to many hassels from my VWMare MM 8.8.02 -> new Hyper-V MM 8.10.0.12).

Can anyone of you give me a hint or pointing my to information, how that could be accomplished?

Many thanks from Vienna, Austria

Gernot.

• 2.  RE: Upgrade order 8.8.0.2 --> 8.10.0.12

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 19 days ago
    1. Backup the flashbackup or configbackup from ESXi's vMM
    2. Install the new vMM on Hyper-V
    3. Restore from flashbackup or configbackup

I would suggest to restore to the same ArubaOS Version.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/CLI-Bank/Content/aos8/copy.htm

I am wondering why you use only one Controller behind vMM? That makes no sense because all the benefits the Installation with an MM brings are not applied.

You have to transfer Licenses to new vMM because the MAC Address will change. This can be done in the Licensing Portal.

• 3.  RE: Upgrade order 8.8.0.2 --> 8.10.0.12

Posted 19 days ago

Hi, thank you all for your help. I already figured it out and did it exactly that way. Obviously there was no more Hyper-V image of the original 8.8.0.2 release, but the flash restore directly to the actual version was without problem.

Referring your design question, I just inherited this solution from an "retired" contractor.

Which leads me to another question, how time-consuming is it, to migrate this 5 MM / 5 Controller / 150 AP (in sum) multiple site installation (these 5 sites are well dispersed throughout Vienna but at least connected by 500 MBps to a centralized clustered MM, migrating all controllers to this new MM?

• 4.  RE: Upgrade order 8.8.0.2 --> 8.10.0.12

Posted 18 days ago

Do all MD(controller)/MCR(mm) share the same configuration (or are supposed to do so)?

You probably can create one or more nodes in one MCR's hierarchy, then move the controllers to that single MCR. Moving licenses may need some attention as well (from 5 separate MCRs to 1), but should be doable.

May be a job for your partner or someone who has done similar things already as it's not a standard procedure and needs preparation and testing.

A 500 Mbps reliable network connection between MCR and MD should be more than sufficient.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Upgrade order 8.8.0.2 --> 8.10.0.12

Posted 19 days ago

And, the MCR (MM) should be upgraded first and run on the same or newer firmware level than your controllers. So first upgrade the MCR(s), then controllers, and the APs will automatically follow.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.