Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading 7220 WLC from 6.5 to 8.10

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Upgrading 7220 WLC from 6.5 to 8.10

Posted Nov 12, 2023 01:52 AM

Dear Team,

I require some urgent support from you guys.

I am going to upgrade my 7220 WLC from 6.5 Version to 8.10 so that it can support the later released APs and give me better wireless performance.

So Once i am upgrading, Would i loose my current configuration or will the device be resetted automatically during the upgrade? I have nt done an upgrade for Aruba Controller from 6 to 8 ..Please support me on this.

Also please let me know whether i have to follow any upgrade path or I can do the upgrade directly and please confirm the exact firmware name, So that i can download the same.

Thanks in advance,

Fayas Salam

• 2.  RE: Upgrading 7220 WLC from 6.5 to 8.10

Posted Nov 12, 2023 07:54 AM

Hi There.

• You can direct upgrade from 6.5 to 8.10.
    • When upgrade from os 6 to os 8 all your configuration on the controller will loose and you have to console and do the config again.
    • I recommend when upgrade from os 6 to os 8, you choose the secondary Partition so if any issue you can boot back to the primary Partition and roll back the services.
    • Remember to backup your license key before upgrade.
    • If you have 2 controller in Active-standby model:
      • Disconnect the Primary controller from your network (AP will fail-over to the Secondary Controller).
      • Upgrade and reconfig the primary Controller (make sure all config is the same with your old system like AP group name, SSID name, VLAN, AAA group...)
      • Disconnect the Secondary controller from network and then connect the Primary controller to network.
      • Now all your AP will join to your Primary Controller (AP will auto reboot 2 times).
      • Do the Upgrade on the Secondary Controller and join back to the Redundancy.

• 3.  RE: Upgrading 7220 WLC from 6.5 to 8.10

Posted Nov 13, 2023 01:27 AM

You will probably have to do a rebuild from scratch to get full benefit of 8.10. You will need to deploy Mobility Conductors and then add controllers to the cluster in your new setup. There are other possibilities too for satnalone controllers or Active /standby. Don't rush this upgrade without reading documentation.