Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

When mobile phones connect to my SSID they get random geo-location information.

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  When mobile phones connect to my SSID they get random geo-location information.

Posted Nov 22, 2023 12:07 PM

I have an issue at one of my locations where the mobile phones get unusual location information.  The users have wrong locations on maps and also weather apps.  Anyone else seen this issue?

• 2.  RE: When mobile phones connect to my SSID they get random geo-location information.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 22, 2023 05:30 PM

I think we need more information to be able to help. 

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: When mobile phones connect to my SSID they get random geo-location information.

Posted Dec 05, 2023 08:04 AM

This will probably go away automatically. What probably happened here is that your APs were deployed previously in another location, and Google collects the SSID (or more specifically the BSSID) information and registers that to a geo-location.

Android devices use that information for location if there is no actual GPS, or for inaccurate location (like for weather).

When enough devices have GPS location and 'see' your APs, Google will learn that your APs have moved. It can take a few days, probably by no it has resolved??

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.