ArubaOS and Controllers

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: How do we do packet capturing on ArubaOS?

if you do a show user-table internal, you will see the ip address of the AP and role it has. That is the APs role and you can see the ACL by doing "show rights "

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I

So I assume I won't be able to capture packets from remote APs, but what If I have campus APs set up? I should be able to capture packets from them right? I did the show-user-table internal and it shows nothing on the controller for the campus APs. So where would I add that udp 5555 acl?

Highlighted
Guru Elite

To be clear, campus APs work fine, because they get internally routable addresses. Remote APs do not, because by default they do not get internally routable addresses, so they cannot send their traffic to your station.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I

Yes, now I understand that remote APs won't allow me to capture packets. However I would like to capture them from the Campus APs, but I don't see any roles when I run that command show user-table internal, so I don't know where to add the acl or do I even need one?
Highlighted
Guru Elite

Do not need one. Campus APs should just work.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Follwing the instructions here, I was able to get the remote capture to wireshark working; however, we use enterprise encryption and all I get is the 802.11 packets from my client laptop.

found an old wireshark doc dated around 2009 that says enterprise encryption is not currenly supported, but I was hoping someone here knew a way to get past that since its over a year ago.
Highlighted
MVP Guru Elite

found an old wireshark doc dated around 2009 that says enterprise encryption is not currenly supported, but I was hoping someone here knew a way to get past that since its over a year ago.

it is still not supported ...

PowerArubaSW: Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP... More info

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...) More info

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)

PowerArubaIAP: Powershell Module to use Aruba Instant AP

PowerArubaMC: Powershell Module to use Mobility Controller / Master

ACMP 6.4 / ACMX #107 / ACCP 6.5 / ACSP
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

about aruba and wireshark

Highlighted

Hi
With the last release of Wireshark, there is support of Aruba ERM (Encapsultated remote Mirroring)

To activate this option, in Wireshark Preferences => Protocols => Aruba ERM => Aruba ERM Ports Number : 5555

:)

Can you elaborate on how you can then use this to capture the traffic from the controller? This doesn't add it as an interface.

Cheers
James
----------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------@whereisjrw--------------------------
---------------------------------blog-------------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216 | AMFX #11

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Highlighted
MVP

Simply capture on the interface you're sending the stream to and apply the aruba_erm filter to get just the capture.
In the example below I've redirected the stream to my standard wired network interface and voila..

Koen (ACMX #351 | ACDX #547 | ACCP)

-- Found a post helpful or important? Click the "Thumbs Up" icon to give kudos.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: