ArubaOS and Controllers

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: VLAN tagging on bridge mode remote AP

HI all,
i want to install a RAP in a branch office, and it's talking to the controller through MPLS WAN, i want to deploy two different WLANs (SSID),

the problem is that users are only getting IPs for the SSID of which has its "Vlan" the same as "Native Vlan" in AP system profile VLAN, and the range they are using is the range that the RAP is getting from the local DHCP according to its access port VLAN, that is let's say: native vlan is 111, VAP vlan is 111, access port of RAP is vlan 10, then users are getting IPs from pool of vlan 10,

the option that i've done now is creating two different profiles, and installing two RAPs on site, each one of them supporting a different SSID with different IP ranges,
any ideas how i can broadcast multiple SSIDs on the same RAP,

Edit the AP-group (configuration> wireless> AP configuration). Under Wireless Lan, Virtual AP, add the second Virtual AP that you want broadcasted.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

of course i added other VAPs to the group, but their vlan would be different from the native vlan, and when i try to access this other SSID from the remote branch, i'm not taking an IP
Highlighted
Guru Elite

Okay, go to Configuration > All Profiles at the bottom. Expand Wireless Lan, Expand Virtual AP and click on the Virtual AP that you want brodcasted. Change the Vlan, click on "Save as" and name the VAP something slightly different. This will make it the same WLAN, but with a different VLAN. Go back to config> wireless lan> AP configuration and edit your AP group to add the new Virtual AP that you saved.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

but my problem is not with creating a new vap with different vlan, i have already added two vaps to the ap group, with different vlans, the problem is on the branch office, where users can't get IPs when then want to associate with the Wlan that has a vlan different from the native vlan, the other wlan with vlan same as native is working,

ok answer me this: on the branch office, when i connect the RAP to the local switch there, do i make the switchport access or trunk?

my config now is access, and the users associating to the working Wlan are getting IPs from this same access port vlan,
Highlighted
Aruba Employee

The port that the AP is plugged into needs to be a trunk.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

so how is it going to take an IP, do i give it a static IP ??

i tried making it trunk, but then it won't boot up completely, doesn't take an IP, and i can't provision it from the controller because i can't see it in the first place,

so how does it work exactly?
Highlighted
Aruba Employee

The AP will get an IP from the native VLAN. The native VLAN in the AP system profile and on the switch port must match. If you don't have DHCP on that VLAN, it won't work (unless you know how to put a static IP on the AP from the AP console). The AP will tag packets to any VLAN that is not the native.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

so let's say i'll put native vlan on the ap system profile "111", and on the switch i'll configure switchport trunk with native vlan as "111", and on the router configure dhcp scope for 111, then all VAPs should work (which let's say have vlans "112" and "113") and users will be able to connect to any of them and get IPs
Highlighted
Aruba Employee

As long as VLANs 112 and 113 are allowed on the switch side of the trunk, the SSID is in bridge mode and the AP can connect to the controller on VLAN 111, then yes, it should work.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

yeah i'll allow all vlans on the trunk, and ap can reach controller on vlan 111, but what about rap operation does it have to be persistent?
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: