Cloud Managed Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Changing the management VLAN

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  Changing the management VLAN

Posted May 20, 2019 07:31 AM

Hi all,

We're about to deploy around 20x Aruba 2930F switches, and we'd like to change the management VLAN to something other than 1.

As this cannot be performed within Aruba Central (and because we need to configure other things such as spanning tree) we'll be using templates to configure each switch.

The issue we have is that Aruba TAC have advised us that if changing the management VLAN by creating a template, when the switch is rebooted, it uses VLAN 1 to check in with Aruba Central to pull down/update its configuration. So each time you reboot it, it won't be able to communicate with central.

They've told us we'll need to disconnect the switches from central, and simply use the CLI or GUI to configure and manage them.

As the switches are yet to arrive, we've been unable to test this out, but if it's true, it's absurd! Surely a basic change can be configured via a template, and will persist between reboots.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Changing the management VLAN
    Best Answer

Posted May 20, 2019 07:45 AM

I’m using the same approach.

I created templates. In this template the management VLAN is not set to 1 but to 10 for example.

During initial boot.

• Switch gets IP using DHCP
    • Received config from Central
    • Switch to management VLAN10

And this is working without any issue.

To make this working you change the primary VLAN using the command

primary-vlan <VLAN-ID>

• 3.  RE: Changing the management VLAN

Posted May 20, 2019 07:54 AM

Thanks Willem.

Using your configuration, will the switch check back in to Central on VLAN10 after it has been rebooted?

• 4.  RE: Changing the management VLAN

Posted May 20, 2019 07:56 AM

Correct!

• 5.  RE: Changing the management VLAN

Posted May 20, 2019 08:37 AM

Thanks Willem, appreciate your help!

We have many other Aruba switches deployed, but they're all managed outside of Central, so we've never encoutnered this problem before.

• 6.  RE: Changing the management VLAN

Posted Mar 03, 2020 02:40 AM

hi,

i try to add a new aruba iap 205  to existing vc controlled netwrok. We use management vlan 20. I change that on (to that aruba) vc but it always goes back to 0. how can i get that to work? help me please

• 7.  RE: Changing the management VLAN

Posted Apr 28, 2020 07:10 AM

jma82_1-1588072079768.png

this is my setting on vc but the new iap don´t show up on vc.

• 8.  RE: Changing the management VLAN

Posted Apr 06, 2020 03:02 PM

Can you give an example of how you do this with a template please?