Security

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Containment of unencrypted devices

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Containment of unencrypted devices

Posted Sep 06, 2019 12:04 PM

Good day. I have several 7220 controllers deployed in support of many locations through out the US. I am picking up a multitude of interferring devices,  that are not nessisarily connected to the WLAN, that do not have encryption turned on. I have been tasked with containing these devices. I have permanently blacklisted all of these devices via cli within the corresponding controllers and have manually contained the devices via the Arbua Mobility GUI as well, yet they keep repropigating as interferring devices. The is a secure network, not open to the public. Is there a way to permanently contain or block these unencrypted devices so that do not keep coming back as interferring? Thank you in advance for your time. 

~ Rob

• 2.  RE: Containment of unencrypted devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2019 09:37 AM

"Interferring" devices are just devices that are observed in the air by access points in the course of scanning channels.  There is nothing really do do with those devices, because they are just in the air.  They could be connected to an access point in the next building over, or just moving past your space.  IMHO, you should not do anything with those devices.  As long as your network is fortified, "interferring" devices are merely the "radiation" that is seen by your access point and there is nothing to do with them, really.

• 3.  RE: Containment of unencrypted devices

Posted Sep 07, 2019 12:05 PM

Thank you for your talking the time to provide this information. I think part of the problem is that some of these "interfering" devises trigger alerts within my SOC's security monitoring system and we are trying to eliminated some of the false positives observed. Thank you again for your time and I will advise my team of your opinion related to interfering devices. I hope that you have a great weekend. 

~ Rob