Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to Migrate an AP from the one Controller to another within MM

This thread has been viewed 144 times
  • 1.  How to Migrate an AP from the one Controller to another within MM

Posted Feb 28, 2020 07:05 AM

Hi, 

What's the best strategy to migrate APs from one set of Controllers to anothers set of Controllers ? 

I tried deleting the AP from MM using 

clear gap-db ap-name

clear gap-db wired-mac 

but didnt work. 

I have about 100 APs registered to one set of cluster of Controllers and due to design constraints, I want to move those 100 APs to a different set of Controllers. 

If i delete the controllers on MM, it will leave those 100 APs as orphans. 

• 2.  RE: How to Migrate an AP from the one Controller to another within MM

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 28, 2020 07:28 AM

There is a few ways of migrating APs from one to another. It all depends on how the APs discover the MM in your environment. You can always adjust the DHCP Options/DNS records and reboot the APs. Failing this, you can also using the AP Provisioning page to re-direct the APs to the other controller.

The commands you've specified will only remove them from the db of the respective controller. The AP will still be provisioned with its configuration and will still attempt to locate this controller thus creating an entry in the db again.

Maybe you could provide some more information on your environment? Is both sets of controllers managed by the same MM or different MM's? How do the APs discover their controllers?

• 3.  RE: How to Migrate an AP from the one Controller to another within MM

Posted Feb 28, 2020 09:07 AM

Thanks for the infomation. The APs are DHCP at the moment. We have multiple clusters configured in the MM and we want to take down this set of cluster and move all the APs into a different set of cluster. 

I tried with a test AP where i configured it in a cluster and migrated it to a new location under different clusters but it ended up in the same cluster using the IP addressing of the new cluster. 

So how do i delete/move or migrate it under the new cluster. Within the provisioning, its only giving me the option of local cluster as each cluster has its own hierarchy. 

• 4.  RE: How to Migrate an AP from the one Controller to another within MM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2020 09:56 AM

Did you use the ap-move command?

• 5.  RE: How to Migrate an AP from the one Controller to another within MM

Posted Mar 02, 2020 05:43 AM

Thanks for the information - will try it shortly and update you.

• 6.  RE: How to Migrate an AP from the one Controller to another within MM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2020 08:13 AM

The easiest way to migrate from one cluster to another while the AP is up is the ap-move command.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/Usage-of-AP-Move-command-in-8-x-code/ta-p/288382