Community Feedback

last person joined: 3 days ago 

How is the community doing? Do you have any questions or feedback related for the Airheads Community team? This is the place to let us know.
Expand all | Collapse all

Which version of software?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Which version of software?

Posted May 13, 2019 12:24 PM
      |   view attached

Hello All,

I recently purchased some Aruba switches and I am not that familiar with them yet. I am trying to determine how the software versioning upgrade works and I am slightly confused on all the types shown in the list. I have 2 Aruba 2930F 24G 4SFP+ and 2 Aruba 2540 48G PoE+ 4SFP+ switches.

Do I need to stay within the versioning or can I upgrade to the other versions 16.XX?

Example: Current Version is WC.16.05.0007 so can I only go to WC.16.06.0011 or could I go up to WC.16.08.0003? 

Aruba OS.png

I see there are several with the same timeframe that can be downloaded.

Thank you for any input received as I am trying to understand this products software releases.

• 2.  RE: Which version of software?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2019 03:15 AM

When you go from 16.06, 16.07, 16.08 etc, you will get new features. If you go from 16.08.001 to 16.08.002, or 16.06.008 to 16.06.009 you get fixes only.

In general, for new deployments, you can safely go to the latest release (16.08 as of today). In larger networks, people tend to standardize on specific versions as firmware with new features may require more thorough testing than minor upgrades. New major releases may include new commands or new features that you might either want on all your switches or on none of them for uniformity.

Also, I would only upgrade for a reason. That can be either security or bug fixes (do a minor upgrade), or it can be that you need to have access to new features (do a major upgrade). If firmware gets unsupported, that is a good reason to schedule an upgrade to a newer (latest) major release.

Please always check and read the release notes for version specific information.

• 3.  RE: Which version of software?

Posted May 14, 2019 11:22 AM

Herman,

Thank you very much for that explanation. I will look at the different versions to see if any of the features are needed.