Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-387 deployment

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  AP-387 deployment

Posted Feb 17, 2020 04:02 PM

Hi,

I have a customer with an Instant cluster of about 20 IAPs.  They have recently purchased another building and would like to extend their network.  The new building is c. 420m with a clear line of sight. c. 120m of the path (roughly halfway across) is over a lake. I know that the datasheet for the AP-387 says up to 400m of extended range but would it be possible to still get a stable link and if so does anyone have any idea of possible speeds?  How close to 1Gbps could the link go?

Cheers,

Aodh

• 2.  RE: AP-387 deployment
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2020 08:17 AM

I don't think that question can be answered. If specification says 400m, then beyond that you run out of specification where mileage may vary.

I'd estimate that if you try, that 420 is close enough (5%) to 400 to expect similar results, but you are working in the margin. Also, the speed depends on the power that is allowed in your country and weather conditions.

If you have the opportunity and equipment to test it, I would test it. If you are purchasing equipment, please have the question asked to Aruba or agree that you can return in case it doesn't work properly.

• 3.  RE: AP-387 deployment

Posted Feb 18, 2020 08:57 AM

Hi Herman,

thanks for the reply.  I can get some APs that were purchased for a different site and test the link.  I was just hoping to avoid doing that if possible as there is some travel and co-ordination required but I agree that it is the correct action to take.

Thanks again,

Aodh