Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget

Airwave and IAP device DNS/DHCP FQDN hostnames: how does it works?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Airwave and IAP device DNS/DHCP FQDN hostnames: how does it works?

Posted Apr 11, 2019 04:20 PM

Hello,

We are currently deploying 2 IAP clusters with Airwave, more than 150 AP. We use ZTP. MAC adresses are preprovisionned in our DHCP server with temporary hostnames (typically with serial number). Definitive hostnames use location: campus, building, floor, zone, door. Pretty common, I guess.

When an AP is deployed and ceiling-mounted in its definitive location, it's handy to set its definitive hostname in the DNS/DHCP. It would be very handy if Airwave reflects this new hostname rather quickly, e.g. to have an idea of the completion of a building, or to place new AP on VisualRF maps.

But sadly, this is not the case out of the box, at least in our installation. So here is a few questions:

• after deployement of an AP and immediate change of its hostname in DNS/DHCP, it takes around 2 days to have the new FQDN in the up devices list, even if the AP is rebooted and Airwave restarted. Is it possible and how to trigger the DNS hostnames refresh?
    • it takes even more days to have the right DNS hostnames in VisualRF maps. Is it possible and how to trigger the DNS hostnames refresh?
    • currently, the only way I've found to display the DNS hostname the AP got via DHCP is the option AMP Setup → General → Display → AP Fully Qualified Domain Name Options: Use AP name with FQDN. But the AP hostname still remain the MAC adress. Is there a way to automatically set the AP hostname to the DNS/DHCP one without click-clicking on each AP?

Very much thanks to anyone who could light my lantern!

Airwave 8.2.7

IAP 303 and 345, OS 8.3.0 (8.3.0.0-8.3.0.0_64659)