Controllerless Networks

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: Aruba IAP DHCP - DHCP Options

JazzyT

Magic vlan traffic is always source natted out of the Virtual controller, so you cannot change the default gateway of clients.  You need to put the traffic on a Network assigned VLAN (trunk) and make that VLAN do what you need to for your clients.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Colin, the problem is the customer has flat network. They need 1 group of clients on one SSID to get a DHCP address from their network and anther set of client to get an address with a different gateway for their traffic is set to the Internet through a Censornet web filter. This would be very easy if they implemented VLAN's.

We tried another setup on the IAP DHCP server, this seamed to work but then we found out the IAP was also giving out addresses to wired clients.

I think the only option is to VLAN the network but it is quite large.

ed
Contributor I

I have something similiar at a customer site.  They have a flat network with 2 isps.  They want "guest" ssid traffic to go to one isp and their employee ssid (dhcp being furnished from windows) to go to the other isp.  I manually changed the IP address on each IAP and used the "Guest" isp address for the default gateway.  I then set the other gateway in the DHCP scope on the windows server.  The "Guest" ssid network is virtual controller assigned and the traffic will go out the gateway assigned on the IAP.  This has worked for me, but your circumstance may be a little different.  I have tested using traceroute and see traffic flowing to the proper gateway when connected to each SSID.  

Highlighted

We are looking into trying to stop using our old DHCP servers and use our Aruba 335's to handle our DHCP. 

Is this an easy prosses? What are the steps for this?

We are trying to troubleshoot some issues we are having and looking into our options.

Thanks!

Highlighted

Hello,

We are looking into trying to stop using our old DHCP servers and use our Aruba 335's to handle our DHCP. 

Is this an easy prosses? What are the steps for this?

We are trying to troubleshoot some issues we are having and looking into our options.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Honestly the DHCP server that is internal to an IAP is not nearly as configurable or manageable as an external DHCP server, so features will be lacking.  The internal DHCP server is really only intended for a guest network.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted

Thank you for the info.  

I wish I was better at all this stuff, Thank you so much for all the help!

Ok, so it sounds like this would not be the best road to go down for our main network. Are there any large advantages to do this on our guest network?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Guru Elite

The advantage would be that you would expose less of your infrastructure (DHCP) to guests, perhaps.  If you already have a system in place, it might not be to your advantage to want to change now.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted

Thank you for the info.

Ok, we will hold off on making a change to the network as it will not be our best move to make at this time. 

Thank you for all the help! 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: