Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Aruba ap105 firmware

Some back story.

I got this IAP105 off eBay. Upgraded the firmware to ArubaInstant_Orion_6.4.4.4-4.2.3.2_54910 via TFTP CLI. I have a DNS record pointing aruba-master to our other IAP105's virtual controller. We have 4 IAP105's total at this location. The other 3 working IAP105s are on 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.4_57496. I can't find this version to manually upgrade the troubled AP to.

I've run these commands:

apboot> setenv master aruba-master

apboot> setenv domainname ourdomain.com

and rebooted

But I still get the message:

"User: turn off mobility

(19:06:46) !!! Init --->Slave"

All 4 lights are on, ENET blinks a little and the others are solid.

I also can't login to the CLI post-boot as none of the credenials I've tried work (admin/admin, admin/forgetme!).

I've tried resetting both via paperclip and 

apboot> factory_reset
apboot> purgeenv
apboot> save
apboot> boot

Regular Contributor I

if this is really an iap and not ap105 - as ap105 can be upgraded with iap os update file but wont work afterwards - then make sure you have autojoin enabled om your existing cluster. no need to manual upgrade that addiotional iap as it will fetch the OS from the other ones after joining the cluster.

check global settings regarding autojoin and if its not enabled then enable it and the iap should join without any hassle.

latest firmware you can Download in aruba hpe support portal or i can provide you via dropbox.
then you can update your existing cluster first and/or update the iap as well and see of it works. i expect you were ripped off ;) as ap105 was sold to you instead iap...

i had customer with same issue where it was clearly an ap105 instead of iap105.

the boot partiton with cli allows to flash ap105 with iap OS but will result in behaviour you describe

cjoseph had clearly pointed this out in previous posts...

Highlighted
Regular Contributor I

and btw : upon the easeness of iap to install no need to use any of thosw setenv commands you mentioned

iap was developed for quick deployments without the need to use cli to pre-config/set anything

check your autojoin settings, and provide sn of the "iap" from ebay perhaps some aruba employee can crosscheck if its a real iap or ap105
Occasional Contributor I

20170120_112458.jpg

Regular Contributor I

so your other IAP's are -JP (japan reg-domain) aswell ? 

-> Aruba Instant IAP-105 Wireless Access Point, 802.11abgn, dual radio, integrated antennas - Restricted Regulatory Domain: Japan

please check regarding auto-join mode and if the factory_resetted IAP (the ebay one) joins the cluster .

no need to setenv something in boot-cli ... just let him join.

Regular Contributor I

Occasional Contributor I

No, they're US. I'm guessing that makes a difference? Can I change this one to be US?

Auto-join is on.

Regular Contributor I

never mixed them . 

just upgrade the ebay-one to the F/W update from my link . no worries, it's original f/w download from aruba-partner portal few months ago. if you dont trust, someone should provide him SHA1/checksum (the OS will crosscheck internal checksum aswell during upgrade).

after your IAP is on 4.2.4.2 , then try again to join to the IAP-105-US cluster . not sure if a -JP one is able to join , i expect regarding regular-domain rules this is useless here as you can give it a try to change to US-values regarding channels/eirp values by yourself. if it's possible then you are fine. 

are you able to change to US values in the settings area ?

Guru Elite

@rantipole1 wrote:

No, they're US. I'm guessing that makes a difference? Can I change this one to be US?

Auto-join is on.

An IAP with a JP designation cannot join a cluster with a US designation.  That is to comply with regulatory requirements.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Regular Contributor I

thanks for pointing this out , never tried this. so this is the solution and proper explanation here.

dont dont buy -JP stuff! ;-)

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: