Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

Bandwidth limit

Three IAP335. All connected via poe @ 1Gb.

No bandwidth limits configured.

Running OS 8.6.0.1

When connecting via 802.11ac, cant push over 200Mb via iperf3.

Before upgrading to later 8.5.x/8.6.x OS, was always able to acheive 350-400Mb using the same hardware and configuration. 

Was a code change (or bug) implemented in a later 8.5.x or 8.6.x code that could be casuing the bandwidth limiting?

Guru Elite

Re: Bandwidth limit

What options are you using with iperf?  Do you have broadcast filtering set to "arp" on that SSID?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba Technical Webinars

@cjoseph wrote:

What options are you using with iperf?  Do you have broadcast filtering set to "arp" on that SSID?

Broadcast filtering set to Disabled.

iPerf: 5 streams to a iperf server on same switch as AP335s.

I get the same 200Mb limit using speedtest.net as well on wifi. Wired, I get 942Mb to same speedtest.net server.

Guru Elite

What is your channel width on the 5ghz band?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars

@cjoseph wrote:

What is your channel width on the 5ghz band?

80Mhz

Guru Elite

At 80mhz, by default, you only have two non-overlapping channels which means that two APs will degrade each other's performance.  In addition, you should enable broadcast filter ARP on all SSIDs, so that you are not competing with broadcast traffic.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars

Disabled 80Mhz.

Enabled broadcast filter ARP.

Speeds are now half: 100Mb on iperf.

Guru Elite

No.  You would either have to (1) make sure you are not on an 80mhz channel that another access point is on or (2) add another 80mhz channel to the regulatory domain to ensure you are not on an 80mhz channel that another access point is on.

You also would add the -w512k parameter to iperf to ensure you are using a properly sized Window.

What operating system is this, and how far are you from the access point?

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars

Ap1: 149e
Ap2: 36e
Ap3: 149e

Same max 200Mb limit on ios13 and win10 devices.

Tried lowering firmware back to 8.5.0.1. Same issue.
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

For reference... I use a AP-325 with ArubaOS 8.6.0.0 at 80mhz (one AP without co-channel interference (not advised in office environments). My iPerf test are 500Mbit/sec download with iPhone8 and Windows 10 with 802.11ac 2x2 antenna.

If your have low throughput at different type of devices then its no diver issue at the client side and should the main reason be RF interference or low signal strength (low SNR), or at the LAN side but your checked that allready.

Use a spectrum analyser like Ekahau or if dont have that, download WinFi Lite and look for RSSI,SNR, channel ulitization (calculated without spectrum analyser), 802.11 standard. Also check if you have high re-transmission rates. Is VHT enabled in you configuraton?

Also note that the channel 149 is in the 5GHz U-NII-3 band what give you max. 25mw EIRP in the Europe regulatory domain (what should be fine with a good AP placement plan. Standard Recommendation, lower your tx power to around 30mw and equals to the tx power of your weakest client device). See attachment.

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: