Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Big broadcast domain with IAP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Big broadcast domain with IAP

Posted Aug 09, 2012 09:53 AM

Hello

As the limit of hte IAP for many models well i guess all of them the expection would be iap93 which the limit keep being 16.

well as the IAP has no limit to grow this means i can put as many IAP with some controller features but limited.

NowOne importatnt thing i wanted to ask...i asked about vlan pooling and named vlans on another topic and it was answered that it does not exist with IAP.

This feature like you all know its really important to maintain the broadcst domain low... for example with the controller i can assign with one ssid many vlans to that ssid... in which for example i could have 1000 users and 5 vlans assigned to that user of 200 users max for each vlan which is recommended...

Now the issue with the IAP is that i can grow as much as i want on APs but i got no vlan pooling and named vlans... now how can i  manage the broadcast domain size without it???

• 2.  RE: Big broadcast domain with IAP

Posted Aug 09, 2012 10:25 AM

you can add more, but i believe Aruba advises to limit it at 64.

not sure about the answer on your exact question, but i think that IAP solution is not meant to replace a mobility controller solution totally, there are situations where you want / need a controller and your example might be one.

• 3.  RE: Big broadcast domain with IAP

Posted Aug 09, 2012 10:30 AM

Im aware this is not to replace controllers... but if they unlock the limit maybe it was for something.....

I mean if the limit is 16 aps it clearly telling us is not for many users.... but as they are unlocking it  thats why im asking....

Also the IAP got basic ARM basic IPS, i mean is not to replace the controller.... i know :)

Now let say as you said aruba advised not to grow more than 64IAP

But if you place 20 users per AP for each iAP then it would be like 1280 users = big broadcast domain

Anyways im just asking :) and hoping aruba can guide me on my queestion

• 4.  RE: Big broadcast domain with IAP

Posted Aug 14, 2012 11:49 PM

Anyone got an opinion of this? i think this is a really important topic as  i see some presales wanting to sell IAPs to reduce cost in big deployment and dont think this is for that....  i mean yeah you save love of money on license and also on the controller but this solution is not meant for that....

Anyways just wanted opinion as i could be wrong :)