Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Can't enable background spectrum monitor

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Can't enable background spectrum monitor

Posted Jan 21, 2016 09:25 AM

Hi, I'm trying to enable background spectrum monitor on my IAP 205 on the 5Ghz. band running
    6.4.3.4-4.2.1.2_53307. In the webgui I can select the Enabled dropdown box and hit ok, but then when I open the RF panel again the dropdown box says Disabled. I tried to enable with the cli Link but when I do a show radio config the Background Spectrum Monitor is still disabled. I have tried with VHT on and off and the result is the same.

Thanks

#AP205

• 2.  RE: Can't enable background spectrum monitor

Posted Mar 21, 2017 05:19 AM

I believe this is a config workflow bug.

If you've ever enabled mesh, it can't fucntion with spectrum-monitoring enabled, so if mesh mode was ever activated, then this option is disabled regardless if mesh mode isn't currently active or what you do in the GUI or CLI -- in fact, the CLI shows it enabled.

The solution to get the feature back was to reset the config to an earlier state. But that also disabled the ability to enter mesh mode.

It seems that there are several pre-requisites for mesh mode to function which are inconsistantly documented.  e.g. Extended SSID must be disabled, spectrum monitoring disabled (5.0GHz), and a few other requirements which must be manually set before it all works.  All of the docs for mesh mode cover it from a fresh factory config but if you're trying to enable mesh later after you've been tweaking settings, it's a hair-pulling effort to get everything setup to get mesh enabled.

In fact, in one document it mentions it won't work with 802.11ac enabled when in current releases it works.

IMHO, the mesh config mode should have its own config screen and help texts updated to link the mode dependancies a bit better instead of it being a scavanger hunt for setting correct options.

• 3.  RE: Can't enable background spectrum monitor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2017 12:07 PM

Your post is tough to follow (the initial post was talking about spectrum) and it is answering a post that has been posted over a year ago, so many changes have occured since...

I would start your own post so that what you are discussing can be looked at in detail.