Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Cisco LACP LAG with Aruba AP

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Cisco LACP LAG with Aruba AP

Posted Sep 15, 2014 03:03 AM

Hi,

I have Aruba IAP-255 access points. I'd like to have both ethernet ports on the AP available in a LAG, should one port go down, the other will take over.

I have Cisco 3750 switches that these Aruba AP's are connected too.

Is there any settings on the IAP's that I need to configure or change for the above to work?

• 2.  RE: Cisco LACP LAG with Aruba AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2014 07:19 AM
    Just make sure the Cisco end is set to passive.

• 3.  RE: Cisco LACP LAG with Aruba AP

Posted Sep 15, 2014 07:25 AM

Currently the Cisco switch is set to "mode active', so we are using LACP.

On the Cisco switch, I can see the port channel is up. If I look at the Aruba AP, I can see that it has joined the LAG.

Why would the Cisco end need to be passive?

• 4.  RE: Cisco LACP LAG with Aruba AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2014 08:00 AM
    I'm sorry, I meant active. There should be no other configuration.

• 5.  RE: Cisco LACP LAG with Aruba AP

Posted Sep 15, 2014 04:13 PM

Ok. When I shut one of the ports to test this, the AP still reboots. Is that expected?

• 6.  RE: Cisco LACP LAG with Aruba AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2014 04:16 PM
    If you shut down the port providing power, then yes. The AP only has one PD circuit and can only accept power on one port at a time.

• 7.  RE: Cisco LACP LAG with Aruba AP

Posted Sep 15, 2014 05:11 PM

This works fine on my test switch with a spare AP.

However on the production switch (same model), I get MAC flapping on the two ports connected to the AP.

Any idea why?

• 8.  RE: Cisco LACP LAG with Aruba AP

Posted Sep 18, 2014 06:27 AM

im sure you checked, but is the port config on the switches the same? using same firmware?

• 9.  RE: Cisco LACP LAG with Aruba AP

Posted Sep 18, 2014 06:43 PM

There are some QoS settings on the production switch that are not on the test switch. IOS versions are the same.

• 10.  RE: Cisco LACP LAG with Aruba AP

Posted Jul 09, 2015 12:39 PM

MAC flap happens until the port-channel comes up.

I would add one line of config to the port-channel to ensure the individual channel members don't go down when the port-channel doesn't negotiate. It's common for Cisco switches to down ports where no LACP neighbor is detected. "no port-channel standalone-disable" applied to the port-channel resolves this. The member will come up but as an individual link, which allows the AP to connect to the network and fetch its config.

Once the AP has its config it will try to negotiate LACP. As stated you have to use channel-group mode active, other modes will not work.

http://www.djerk.nl/wordpress/2015/cisco-lacp-config-for-aruba-ap