Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Client gateway IP by IAP DHCP server

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Client gateway IP by IAP DHCP server

Posted Feb 05, 2013 06:12 AM

Is it possible to specify a default gateway ip to assign to a client that receive its IP parameters by the IAP DHCP server?

In the "Setting" page I see only domain, DNS, lease, network and mask parameters.

Client IP assignment is set to "Virtual Controller assigned".

The firmware version of IAP is 6.1.3.4-3.1.0.0

• 2.  RE: Client gateway IP by IAP DHCP server

Posted Feb 05, 2013 08:05 AM

You can use the DHCP scope definitions beneath the VPN Configuration link on the home page.  Review Chapter 29 in the User Guide on the differing DHCP modes available in this configuration.   Despite being under the VPN configuration, you can assign a VLAN ID in the configuration; then use this VLAN for your wireless users.    You'll likely want the Distributed L2 setting.   "In Distributed L2 mode, the Virtual Controller acts as the DHCP Server but the default gateway is in the data center."

• 3.  RE: Client gateway IP by IAP DHCP server

Posted Feb 05, 2013 09:52 AM

If I define the DHCP scope as you say (under VPN Confguration) but the parameter "Client IP assignment" is set to  "Virtual Controller Assignment" (in the SSID Configuration), the wireless clients take its IP parameters from "Setting->General->DHCP Server" tab. And there isn't the default gateway parameter...

Instead, if i set the parameter "Client IP assignment" = "Network Assigned" the wireless clients send its DHCP request to the network, not to the VC.

• 4.  RE: Client gateway IP by IAP DHCP server
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 20, 2015 07:28 AM

Hi Gallina,

L2 distributed model is the suitable solution for your requirement. you don't find the option for default gateway under DHCP config because we don't need to configure explicitly, as the same VLAN will be extended from the HO to BO the gateway IP will be assigned assigned to the Client.

For your ref :

L2Distributed.png

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 5.  RE: Client gateway IP by IAP DHCP server

Posted Jul 18, 2015 07:53 AM

I believe the type of DHCP server you want to configure is Distribted L2.  It allows you set all DHCP parameters, including the gateway.  If you have multiple VLANs be sure to create separate scopes for each, respectively.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/InstantHTML/Content/Chapter18%20DHCPConfiguration/DHCPDeploy.htm

"Distributed, L2 — In this mode, the Virtual Controller acts as the DHCP server, but the default gateway is in the data center."