Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Clients not connecting...help!

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Clients not connecting...help!

Posted Oct 05, 2018 03:30 AM

Hi guys,

First time poster here, just getting used to working with this amazing hardware.

Just had an issue today that I think I may have caused and have had no luck sorting it out. I want to try and fix it before i resort to a backup.

Been trying to troubleshoot an issue with the Instant Controller comming up as mismatched in airwave. I applied an old template for troubleshooting and changed the shared secret in airwave and clearpass and now i am finding that no clients can connect. The authentication request gets through to Clearpass and authenticates the user ok, but the client just seems to either get an 0.0.0.0 or 169* auto address with ---- as a hostname.

I undid everything I did and now it seems I only have read only access to Instant. When I try to do anything I cant, and when I reboot the Airwave server instant gives me access while its down. Ive also noticed that all the AP's are also comming up as down in Airwave, but they are accessible in Instant.

ANy suggestions on where to look would be great. ITs obviously something I have done and I have full backups of Airwave and Clearpass. I dont want to go to a backup because i want to understand whats happened and fix it.

Any assistance would be fantastic, thank you

• 2.  RE: Clients not connecting...help!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2018 06:13 AM

Did the instant cluster work before you added it to Airwave?  If yes, what steps did you make after that?  

• 3.  RE: Clients not connecting...help!

Posted Oct 05, 2018 06:15 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it was all working beforehand.

I have managed to get the wireless network connecting clients again, although Instant still is in read only mode.

When i reboot the Instant controller it allows me to edit the settings for a inute or so, then when Airwave connects it goes into read only mode

• 4.  RE: Clients not connecting...help!
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2018 06:21 AM

In Airwave, you need to put the Instant Cluster  in Monitor only mode, otherwise, you would have to configure them from Airwave.  Please see the Airwave Instant deployment document here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Software-User-Reference-Guides/Aruba-Instant-in-AirWave-8-0/ta-p/255067 for more details.

• 5.  RE: Clients not connecting...help!

Posted Oct 05, 2018 06:29 AM

Oh wow, thank you! That fixed it.

Just another quick one, if I remove a network that uses clearpass for authentication and replace it, will the end users have to manually enter their details again? Obviously I will copy the network details exact....

• 6.  RE: Clients not connecting...help!
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2018 06:33 AM

The new network would have to have the same name, otherwise they will not be able to connect.

• 7.  RE: Clients not connecting...help!

Posted Oct 05, 2018 06:38 AM

OK thank you very much, just saved me a Saturdays work!

• 8.  RE: Clients not connecting...help!

Posted Oct 05, 2018 09:48 AM

Arrgh, seems like im back to square one.

Cant work out why these clients are getting 169 addresses

• 9.  RE: Clients not connecting...help!

Posted Oct 05, 2018 10:22 AM

Hi!

You say that you´re seeing successful authentications in Clearpass from this cluster? Do you return any role or VLAN back?

How are you placing the clients on a network? Is it a local VLAN or virtually assigned? If local VLAN, check that the VLAN is indeed working on the wired side and that it gives out IP-addresses. Check that you can see the clients mac-addresses from the AP trunk port.

Cheers,

• 10.  RE: Clients not connecting...help!

Posted Oct 05, 2018 10:46 AM

@Christoffer wrote:

Hi!

You say that you´re seeing successful authentications in Clearpass from this cluster? Do you return any role or VLAN back?

How are you placing the clients on a network? Is it a local VLAN or virtually assigned? If local VLAN, check that the VLAN is indeed working on the wired side and that it gives out IP-addresses. Check that you can see the clients mac-addresses from the AP trunk port.

Cheers,

Hi! thanks for your reply

It a local Vlan, assigned IP addresses via DHCP. Wired clients are working OK. Very strange, i can connect using AD credentials, ClearPass authenticates OK and passes the connection through OK.It gives me the correct VLAN ip address for about 10 minutes then goes to a 169 address.

The AP is connected to a newly comissioned switch, I just double checked and the network VLANS are being tagged through the uplink port

• 11.  RE: Clients not connecting...help!
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 08, 2018 08:35 PM

Hi guys, just had a fantastic experience with TAC, they fixed my problem! I had forgotten to tag certain vlans on the new switches.

I was untagging the WAP port, but not tagging all of the other Vlans. This is why we were getting 169 and 0.0.0.0 addresses.

Loving Aruba, love the support, forums everything!

Thank you soooooo much