Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

DNS problem? Maybe?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  DNS problem? Maybe?

Posted Apr 09, 2014 11:10 AM

I have a problem that's driving me nuts!

I cannot get to this web site: https://instantalert.honeywell.com

I can't ping it, Traceroute either just hangs or returns all asterisks.

I have a bunch of IAP-105s. Was running the latest firmware, and even went back to 3.4 to see if that was the issue. Nope. And its the ONLY site I can't get to. I can get to everything else I've tried. Tried several different computers, different access points, turned OpenDNS on and off, still no love.

This only happens going through the WiFi. I can stick a cable in my Macbook and hit that site through the wired network, no problem. And of course, that site is important to us!

I'm thinking its gotta be a setting in Aruba Instant somewhere. HELP!

Glen

• 2.  RE: DNS problem? Maybe?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2014 11:26 AM

What are your DNS settings on instant and can you share the config?  I just tried it on a IAP 105 running 4.0.0.4 and it seems to be fine...

• 3.  RE: DNS problem? Maybe?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 09, 2014 11:47 AM

Ok, I figured it out.

Its the "content filter" checkbox on the SSID configuration. If I uncheck it, I can get to the site. No idea why.

• 4.  RE: DNS problem? Maybe?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2014 11:52 AM

This is because when it's enabled...all DNS requests are sent to OpenDNS if so configured:

Screenshot 2014-04-09 11.50.58.png

• 5.  RE: DNS problem? Maybe?

Posted Apr 09, 2014 12:07 PM
    Then why can I hit the site through the wired network, which also goes through OpenDNS?

• 6.  RE: DNS problem? Maybe?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2014 12:08 PM

Have you set up the virtual controller with your OpenDNS settings and configured the enterprise domain?

• 7.  RE: DNS problem? Maybe?

Posted Apr 09, 2014 01:40 PM
    It has our ID and password configured. I guess I don?t know how to configure the enterprise domain.