Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Hidden SSID

This thread has been viewed 31 times
  • 1.  Hidden SSID

Posted Oct 13, 2017 01:15 AM

Hi,

I have Aruba IAP-225, and i configure Guest SSID and tick on "Hide" on the advance option.

The problem is, i found "Other Networks" show on the wireless network connection.

Question: Can i hide also "Other Networks" option? how?

• 2.  RE: Hidden SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2017 04:47 AM

Hi,

clicking the "hide" button you only configure the AP not to populate the SSID name in the management beacon packet. It does not add additional security. 

So you can only hide the SSID name.

• 3.  RE: Hidden SSID

Posted Oct 22, 2017 10:43 PM

HI,

I know it is only hide SSID name, but in windows platform can i hide also "other network" option?

• 4.  RE: Hidden SSID

Posted Oct 22, 2017 11:27 PM

Hiding of SSID will only stop beacons from being broadcasted, if you require a limited WIFI connection, you may require whitelisting of devices or MAC authenication (Mobility controller) or something even along the lines of a NAC ( Clearpass )

• 5.  RE: Hidden SSID

Posted Jun 01, 2018 07:28 AM
    Hi all, I’m looking for clarification on this statement - “Hiding of SSID will only stop beacons from being broadcasted” - everything I have studied/researched seems to claim the AP still beacons but the ssid field in the frame is null or 0.

Can anyone explain this clearly? I’ve had some folks tell me the air is cleaner if they hide the SSID, which I’m not completely sold on.

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Hidden SSID

Posted Jun 01, 2018 08:47 AM

Yes, exactly. Hiding the SSID just removes the SSID field in the beacon frames.

But that information is still sent by the clients that know about the hidden SSID in the "Probe Request" frame (the SSID is specified in that frame)

I dont know if the air is cleaner just by using a hidden SSID. I havent checked that

• 7.  RE: Hidden SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2018 09:09 AM

@mhenshaw25 wrote:
    Hi all, I’m looking for clarification on this statement - “Hiding of SSID will only stop beacons from being broadcasted” - everything I have studied/researched seems to claim the AP still beacons but the ssid field in the frame is null or 0.

Can anyone explain this clearly? I’ve had some folks tell me the air is cleaner if they hide the SSID, which I’m not completely sold on.

Thanks

The "hide ssid" parameter in the SSID profile makes the SSID field in the beacons have a null, which is correct.  Clients can still do a probe request, which will prompt the AP to do a probe response with the SSID.  Enabling the "Deny Broadcast Probe Request" parameter in the SSID will stop the AP from responding.  Combining the two parameters above will make the SSID truly "hidden" in the traditional sense from most clients.  Numerically denying broadcast probe requests will eliminate responses and make the WLAN "cleaner", but not by much.  There are quite a few things you can do to clean up the WLAN that have a larger and more sustainable impact than denying broadcast probe requests.

• 8.  RE: Hidden SSID

Posted Jun 01, 2018 09:21 AM

Hi Colin, One question:

When you talk about the "Deny Broadcast Probe Request", you mean that the AP will not answer to a wildcard probe request from clients, right?

Kevin

• 9.  RE: Hidden SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2018 09:40 AM

For every SSID that has that enabled, yes.

• 10.  RE: Hidden SSID

Posted Jun 01, 2018 09:48 AM

Guys, thanks for the quick responses!  This really helps clear it up for me, as well as solidifying what I kind of thought originally.

Thanks.