Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How to set a IAP 205 as master or virtual controller

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How to set a IAP 205 as master or virtual controller

Posted Nov 17, 2017 01:43 AM

Hello everyone,

I just ordered my first two IAP 205 Aruba WAPs. From what I'm gathering I need to:

1. Plug it into the network and let it pull a DHCP. 

2. Find that DHCP address in my DHCP lease list.

3. Access the GUI via the IP address and start configuring. 

I don't undertand how I go about making the first WAP I configure the master or virtual controller? 

-Jim

• 2.  RE: How to set a IAP 205 as master or virtual controller
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 17, 2017 04:06 AM

The master election process is handled automatically, so you don't need to configure a "master" AP as such. So in the first instance just plug 1 IAP in and configure this accordingly, set the Virtual Controller IP on this AP. Once the first AP is configured you can plug in the second AP, the second AP will automatically located the first AP (elected master) in the broadcast domain and download the configuration.

When configuring the IAP, do you not even need to find the IP from your DHCP server, look for the broadcasting SSID and connect to this, it will either be "instant" or "setmeup" depending on the software version.

To configure the Virtual Controller IP address, access the GUI and go to System > General > Virtual Controller IP