Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-175 Very slow Performance

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  IAP-175 Very slow Performance

Posted Feb 02, 2020 07:53 PM

Hello

I have two IAP-175s setup in an instant mesh with a single SSID being hosted. At the moment, myself and a handful of IoT devices are connected to the SSID and I've been running some speed tests. I have three SSIDs I'm testing, all share the exact same fiber connection to the Internet:

a 2.4ghz indoor connection (ASUS AC5300)
    a 5ghz indoor connection (same ASUS AC5300)
    a 2.4ghz outdoor connection (IAP-175)

Geographically speaking my computer is roughly the same distance from both the ASUS AC5300 and IAP-175 at the moment. My IAP is connected to the ASUS, which is connected to the fiber WAN connection.

When I speed test the ASUS AC5300's SSIDs I get speeds like 30mb for the 2.4ghz and 50mb+ for the 5ghz, which seems about right to me. When I test the IAP however I am getting 2mb, MAYBE 3mb. It seems like a factor of 10 slower than I'd expect.

Can someone explain to me why this might be? I checked the configuration for the SSID in question on the IAP and there are no bandwidth limits set.

• 2.  RE: IAP-175 Very slow Performance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2020 12:27 PM

I may need a simple drawing as to your setup. Is the IAP inside, and is the IAP link running over the mesh or is the 175 outside and the client inside?  If the backhaul for the speed test is over the mesh, that may be impaired. 

With mesh, and if there is an SSID for clients on the 5Ghz then the mesh is split between the clients SSID on the radio. 

Also want to make sure you are not associated to the 175 farther away. 

So hard to tell here, may need more information to run this to ground.

• 3.  RE: IAP-175 Very slow Performance

Posted Feb 07, 2020 01:49 PM

c00gle_0-1581101153026.png

Here's a rough sketch of the setup, ignoring other things plugged into the ASUS.

The IAP-175 connected directly to the ASUS is the *only* thing currently in play -- it is NOT meshing with the IAP on the left (it *should* be but I'm still having troubles getting that to work right). For the moment The IAP shows one Access Point, and one SSID.

When I connect to the 2.4 and 5ghz channels of the IAP that is POE'd to the ASUS, I get these ridiculously slow transfer rates as described. Those rates are a factor of 10 faster when I connect to 2.4 and 5ghz channels directly on the ASUS.

I am using Aruba omni antennas for both IAPs and on both 2.4 and 5. The IAP 175 on the left, if I was somehow connecting to it (which I'm not) wouldn't work. It has no outboard WAN connection of it's own.

• 4.  RE: IAP-175 Very slow Performance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2020 06:06 PM

175 is outdoors though right? If so, would be curious if you see the same throughput when the laptop is outside instead of going throw walls and possible ceiling if it's mounted high enough. Additionally, make sure the power levels of the 175 are higher up, they default to the same power as indoor APs which likely is not enough power to get through all the walls, whereas many home routers, etc are set to max or near max as they are usually installed solo and don't have to worry about ARM.

And the usual, make sure the channels are clean (or as clean as you can get). 

• 5.  RE: IAP-175 Very slow Performance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2020 06:08 PM

TWO MORE THINGs, make sure speed and duplex are solid (gig/full), some power injectors are not great quality and may come in to play. Same for physical cabling/connections but that's usually the last thing I check and the one thing usually bad that I miss.

AND make sure the 2.4Ghz antennas are on the 2.4Ghz ports, and same for 5Ghz. Easy mistake to make but it will seriously impair performance