Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?

Posted May 21, 2014 08:05 AM

Hi,

I came across one issue. I deployed IAP 225 and connected both eth0 and eth1 to two PoE switches (Juniper Virtual Chassis) for LACP (one port to each switch). I power up AP and when it was up, I disconnected eth0 cable and APs was not available anymore. 

Question: should eth1 take over traffic forwarding or it doesnt work this way?

#AP225

• 2.  RE: IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 21, 2014 08:06 AM

If eth0 is providing the power, the AP will reboot then pull power from eth1 and then begin forwarding data. The AP only has one PD circuit.

• 3.  RE: IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?

Posted May 21, 2014 08:13 AM

I know there is only one PD and I expected AP to reboot. Actually it does, but there is no network connectivity once it is up again, ping doesnt work, AP doesnt connect to Master AP.

If it should work, I will open TAC case. What I noticed is LACP between switch and AP doesnt negotiate (active/passive mode). Switch sends LACP msg, but Ap doesnt response. I need to enable "force-up" on the switch end. It could be related.

Any idea?

• 4.  RE: IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?

Posted May 21, 2014 09:53 AM

Are your Junipers part of a single stack?  If yes, does Juniper support spliiting the ports of a LAG across switches so long as they are in the same stack?

If they are separate switches, and not part of a stack, then the feature is not being used as designed. Both ports need to be part of the same LAG ID. LACP on your switch needs to be set for Active with short LACP timeout. 

With the way we implemented LACP all 5GHz traffic will go down one port and all 2.4GHz traffic will go down the second port.

• 5.  RE: IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?

Posted May 21, 2014 09:58 AM

IAP is connected to Juniper Virtual Chassis, so it is not an issue. I have opened TAC case for this.  It looks like there is an issue with LACP negotiation, but let support team provide feedback. Will share it with you guys.

Thx everyone.

• 6.  RE: IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?

Posted May 21, 2014 10:00 AM

Sounds like a plan.  Please keep us posted!

• 7.  RE: IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?

Posted Oct 02, 2014 02:25 PM

I am having the same problem with IAP225 AP's and Juniper EX3300 switches.

Was the resolution to this problem every found?

• 8.  RE: IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 02, 2014 02:36 PM
    Hi,

Use DHCP address on IAP and set static mac-ip binding on DHCP server if you need IP to stay the same

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the e-mail by you is prohibited. Where allowed by local law, electronic communications with Accenture and its affiliates, including e-mail and instant messaging (including content), may be scanned by our systems for the purposes of information security and assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

www.accenture.com

• 9.  RE: IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?

Posted Oct 02, 2014 02:48 PM

Thanks. I will try this recommendation tomorrow when back in the lab. Also going to test the LACP lag functionality with a Cisco switch as well.

• 10.  RE: IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?

Posted Oct 12, 2014 07:52 AM

@dawid.wojtkowiak wrote:
    Use DHCP address on IAP and set static mac-ip binding on DHCP server if you need IP to stay the same

hey Dawid, was that what TAC came up with?

• 11.  RE: IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?

Posted Oct 12, 2014 08:40 AM
    Nope, result of personal experience/test, but tac confirmed it as a kind of bug

Pozdrawiam/Regards

Dawid Wojtkowiak
    Sent from mobile

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the e-mail by you is prohibited. Where allowed by local law, electronic communications with Accenture and its affiliates, including e-mail and instant messaging (including content), may be scanned by our systems for the purposes of information security and assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

www.accenture.com

• 12.  RE: IAP 225 with LACP used: Does it still work, when eth0 fails?

Posted Apr 11, 2015 10:10 AM

Has to be one of the biggest hack implementations of LACP I've seen.