Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-305, ARM increases power to max on all APs in 5GHz

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  IAP-305, ARM increases power to max on all APs in 5GHz

Posted Aug 26, 2020 05:55 PM

For some reason ARM is assigning max power (27dbm) to all AP's. This is happening only in 5Ghz. After reboot, goes back to normal (12 dbm which is configured as minimum.) A day or 2 later they go up to max again.

This is happening in several deployment of IAP-305.

In one location, 5 old Cisco APs, providing perfect coverage at 1/2 power, were replaced by 10 IAPs (customer got 5 free, installed all 10). So it is not a problem of coverage needs.

Updated the firmware didn't help. 

Anyone experienced this or any suggestions?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: IAP-305, ARM increases power to max on all APs in 5GHz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 26, 2020 05:57 PM

What version of Instant OS are you running?

What is your ARM max transmit power set for on the 5ghz band?

EDIT:

To be clear, if the AP does not detect any cochannel interference on the existing channel, it will increase the power to the ARM max transmit power setting on the 5ghz band in ARM.  You can constrain that by setting the ARM max transmit power as a ceiling.

• 3.  RE: IAP-305, ARM increases power to max on all APs in 5GHz

Posted Aug 27, 2020 09:57 AM

Thanks for explanation. That makes sense.

Although, I expected the opposite, that ARM would set AP to minimum power needed for clients coverage. That is to provide the best throughput.

The ones I am investigation now are on 8.5.0.1 code. I have seen the same behavior on other codes.

• 4.  RE: IAP-305, ARM increases power to max on all APs in 5GHz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2020 10:11 AM

ARM has always worked that way.  If you want it to cap the maximum, go ahead and cap it at like 18.