Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Management Vlan on Native vlan or not Native vlan?

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  IAP Management Vlan on Native vlan or not Native vlan?

Posted Dec 21, 2017 08:04 AM

Hi everyone,

Iam planning to deploy an instant iap cluster.I have been doing a

lot of reading with regard to aruba iap in this forum.In order to deploy a cluster why should the iaps be in the native vlan or it is not mandatory?Some say that in order to get ip from an external dhcp iaps must be in untagged vlan that is  vlan1 by default,If this is the case than why?Can the iaps be on a different vlan tagged on.What is ment by management uplink vlan.There is a lot of confusion about management vlan,tagged or untagged etc.

Any help will be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: IAP Management Vlan on Native vlan or not Native vlan?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2017 08:27 AM

The easiest way to deploy Instant APs is to have the IAPs get dhcp ip addresses from the untagged VLAN.  This is considered VLAN 1 in the IAP.  If want your APs to get their DHCP ip address from a tagged VLAN on the switch port, instead you would configure the uplink VLAN to match whatever you want that VLAN to be so that on a trunk port IAPs will get their ip addresses from that tagged VLAN, instead:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/Aruba-VRDs/76/2/Aruba_Instant_VRD_2016.pdf

Screenshot 2017-12-21 at 07.23.41.png

• 3.  RE: IAP Management Vlan on Native vlan or not Native vlan?

Posted Jan 15, 2018 11:53 AM

Hi

assuming I use a tagged VLAN what happens if I add a new AP with a factory default configuration  will it be able to attach to the existing cluster ?  this new AP will not have an Uplink VLAN configured

How can we can configure this new AP ?  by using Command line and enter manualy the UPLINK VLAN

regards

• 4.  RE: IAP Management Vlan on Native vlan or not Native vlan?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2018 01:51 PM

Yes.

For a distributed deployment, dhcp options on the non-management VLAN would point the IAP to Airwave, where it would get its configuration with the uplink vlan.

• 5.  RE: IAP Management Vlan on Native vlan or not Native vlan?

Posted Jan 16, 2018 06:05 AM

Thanks for your answer

If i Understant well, the New acces point will be able to get the informations of the Uplink port by using Airwave ( TAGGED VLAN)

You will need also to reboot the access point to get new IP in the TAGGED vlan ?

regards

• 6.  RE: IAP Management Vlan on Native vlan or not Native vlan?

Posted May 24, 2019 04:24 AM

Hi

Is there any further update on this?

My client request is the following:

That the management for the  IAP out the box (ZTP) is in a tagged vlan

that is setup on the swith port.

I cant see a solution for this other than the IAP gets and IP address based on the untagged vlan, then gets managed by aruba central (in this case) Aruba central will push down the tagged management Vlan to IAP

Then some questions:

Would the IAP have to reboot to get the IP address in the new subnet

And would this happen to every new IAP joining the cluster

Or there is another solution I am missing?

Thank you