Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Time Ranges

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 21, 2016 01:14 PM

It’s not clear to me how to configure a time range for an SSID.  If I simply want my SSID to be available M-F from 7AM-7PM, do I create a single time range that reflects this and set it to Enabled or do I also need to create more time ranges for 7PM-7AM and set these to Disabled as well?

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 21, 2016 04:28 PM

Checking with engieering, i am seeing different observations in lab.

• 3.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 21, 2016 05:10 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply mannvishal—I reviewed the guide and the behavior is not very clear here.  While I could perform some piloting myself, I was hoping someone with greater insight could enlighten me or, perhaps, someone else already performing this piloting.

Thank you.

• 4.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 21, 2016 06:05 PM
    Only create time ranges for the 'enabled' times

• 5.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 22, 2016 12:43 PM

It appears only creating time ranges for Enabled does not work as I’ve done this and I still show a large number of clients connected outside the Enabled times.  Or is this, somehow, the expected behavior?

• 6.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 22, 2016 12:44 PM
    Can you share the output of show tech-support from your network?

Yan Liu
    Director of Product Management
    Aruba Instant
    US: +1 650 996 3520
    China: +86 136 212 16844

• 7.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 22, 2016 12:51 PM

I can, but that’s a lot of information that I’m not comfortable posting in a public forum.  I’d be more than happy to send this directly to you though.

• 8.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 22, 2016 12:56 PM
    You can send me a private message through this community.

Yan Liu
    Aruba Instant

• 9.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 22, 2016 01:09 PM

Thanks for looking into this further for me Yan—I sent you the show tech-support from the VC via private message.

• 10.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 22, 2016 01:24 PM
    I looked at the data, the configuration seems correct. Can I assume that the problem you are reporting is the MBoLGuest SSID still shows user connected after hours? If so, to debug further, can wait until a time when the SSID is supposed to be inactive, and then collect the show tech-support one more time? That should help us root cause the issue.

• 11.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 22, 2016 01:30 PM

Your assumption is correct Yan.  I will grab another show tech-support after hours/outside of the Enabled time ranges and send it to you.

• 12.  RE: IAP Time Ranges
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 22, 2016 03:01 PM
      |   view attached

two ways one can achieve the below requirement (enable ssid between 07:00 to 19:00).

time-range test periodic weekday 07:00 to 19:00   -create the time profile between 07:00 to 19:00

wlan ssid-profile vmann-iap5

disable                                                              disable the ssid all the time

time-range test enable                                       enables the enable at 07:00 and disable it at 19:00 (so it will be enable between 07:00 to 19:00)

Above we create ssid and disable it all the time and enable it only when it required by time profile.

1. time-range test1 periodic weekday 00:00 to 07:00

time-range test2 periodic weekday 19:00 to 23:58

wlan ssid-profile vmann-iap5

enable

time-range tes1 disable             disable the ssid at 00:00 and enable it back at 07:00

time-range test2 disable            disable the ssid at 19:00 and enables it back at 23:58 .

Time range will get triggered at start of time range or at end of time range or when ap is freshly booted.

In case of #2 if the user configure timerange and attaches it to ssid at 21:00 it will not have anyeffect as the present time is greater than start time and less than endtime. So inorder to achieve the result user has to reboot the AP.

Similarly in case of #1 if  user configures the time range and attach it ssid at 08:00 then ssid will be disabled till next day 07:00 or else reboot the AP to have immediate effect.

#1 is always the suggested approach.

Thanks to Yan, i will soon post a blog with details.

Attachment(s)

• 13.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 22, 2016 03:25 PM

Thanks for the breakdown mannvishal.  If I understand you correctly, are you saying the recommendation is to disable the SSID in this case and only enable it with the time ranges?

Thank you and please post the URL to your blog post here.

• 14.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 22, 2016 04:11 PM
    Vishal is right. I missed this detail in the original analysis of the config. By changing the current SSID profile to be "disabled", but keeping the time ranges attached to the profile as "enable", it should make things work.

Thanks,

Yan Liu
    Aruba Instant

• 15.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 22, 2016 04:21 PM

I’ll give this a spin and report back later.  Besides the blog entry, it might be a good idea to include this in the User Guide as well.

• 16.  RE: IAP Time Ranges

Posted Jul 25, 2016 12:34 PM

This appears to be working with Vishal’s “suggested approach.”  The only apparent unexpected behavior is the disabled network always appears disabled in the web UI (even though clients can associate).

Thank you for the assistance.