Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP - blocking unwanted wireless extenders

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP - blocking unwanted wireless extenders

Posted May 11, 2020 04:16 PM

Hello Community!

Is there any feature to block unwanted wireless extenders? I need to ban any extender from my wireless network, but it is very difficult to deal with a black list based on MAC Addresses. Do extenders have any behavior that can be detected or blocked with IPS features?

Can the IPS Protecion feature do that - rogue_containment, protect_ssid, protect_ap_impersonation, protect_adhoc_network functions turned on?

Is there any other solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance

Best rehards,

Joao Martins

• 2.  RE: IAP - blocking unwanted wireless extenders

MVP GURU
    Posted May 17, 2020 08:54 PM

I don't think IAPs have this kind of capability. Also, if your networks border any other companies/users networks, blocking/jamming the RF can put you in violation with FCC regulations....Might need to do some homework on that.

• 3.  RE: IAP - blocking unwanted wireless extenders
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 04, 2020 01:20 PM

Hi Dustin, thank you for your attention.

After a few weeks, I have news... indeed, the IAPs refuse the association of legacy repeaters if IDS measures are applied. 

Thank you for the information regarding to violation of FCC  regulations. In this case we don't have any problems with that - the warehouse is on the middle of nowhere!

As you say, I also believe no such feature exists to explicit block legacy repeaters or wifi range extenders. But IDS feature solve my problem.

Thank you Dustin, take care and stay safe.

Cheers, Joao