Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP in Mesh

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP in Mesh

Posted Jul 09, 2013 03:39 PM
      |   view attached

(See attached jpg)

I have a site with two buildings. One side has the cable modem with two IAP's and the other side just has 2 IAP's. The two buildings are connected via 5Ghz mesh link.  All the AP's dhcp a 10.1.1.X address off of the cable modem and I have an entry for the virtual controller for 10.1.1.250. Everything works great (until the power goes out in one or both of the buildings).

When the site looses power (which unfortunately happes often) it would apear that each building comes up separately and each one forms a 2 AP cluster (instead of 4) and an AP in each of the buildings claims the virtual 10.1.1.250 address. The 5Ghz mesh link across the two buildings never forms and Bld A works because they have the modem on their side and Bld B goes down.

To fix this problem we must go to Bld B and unplug both AP's. Then we bring up the AP-104 on it own and it joins via the mesh link. After it is up we plug in the AP-175 and it then also joins the cluster.

So is there a way to stop this from happening?  Is there a different way I should configure this?

• 2.  RE: IAP in Mesh

Posted Jul 12, 2013 08:01 PM

My first thought is whether you'd be better off with two swarms which connect over mesh, rather than one swarm meshing in the middle. I suppose you have two swarms connected over mesh when its broken anyway.

Can you redesign the relationships so that remote swarm manages itself and just uses the mesh as an uplink?

Or find a slow to reconnect power gizmo which would delay the remote APs powering up until after the cable-modem side APs are up.

• 3.  RE: IAP in Mesh

Posted Jul 15, 2013 09:41 PM

Can you describe how the two IAPs are connected together in the building that does not have the cable modem?  Are they wired together using their eth0 port?  Is eth0 bridging configured on any of these APs?