Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP switch port config, IAP firmware

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  IAP switch port config, IAP firmware

Posted Dec 15, 2017 08:50 AM

Hi I will be installing IAP on a cisco switch what is the prefered port configuration, a switch or trunk port.

If I upgrade the firmware on one AP will it automatically up grade all the other attached AP's

• 2.  RE: IAP switch port config, IAP firmware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 15, 2017 09:03 AM

The most basic configuration is an access port.  The IAP will get a dhcp address and you can setup your SSID to put your clients on vlan 1 (the same vlan as the management vlan of the IAP).  If you want to put clients on a different subnet than the IAP, you configure the Cisco switch with a trunk.  The IAP will come up via DHCP on the untagged vlan of the switch.  You would then setup your SSID for "network assigned" vlan and have it match the VLAN you have trunked for the user vlan for your clients.

Upgrading a single iap in a cluster (the virtual controller) will upgrade other IAPs, yes.

• 3.  RE: IAP switch port config, IAP firmware

Posted Dec 15, 2017 11:12 AM

Hi Colin, thanks. I am new to Aruba and just wanted to get the recommended port config, for Cisco AP's they recomend access ports for local AP's and trunk for their Flexconnect.

I thought as much with the Firmware.

So currently some of the APs are connected at the site, I am configuring one AP with the controller information, when I plug the configured one into the network the AP's will work the master out, is all that done in the back ground?

so When I set a virtual controller ip this will be the IP for the whole cluster and I just use that for setting up Radius/NPS

Thanks for your reply

• 4.  RE: IAP switch port config, IAP firmware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 15, 2017 11:37 AM

You can configure the first AP in the cluster.  That AP will be the Virtual Controller that will distribute the configuration to every other AP in the cluster.  APs that boot up in the same subnet check to see if there is an existing virtual controller.  If there is already a Virtual Controller in the layer 2 subnet, it will join the existing cluster and obtains the configuration from the Virtual Controller after a firmware check.    This happens automatically.

When you set the Virtual IP address, it is the only static ip address that is recommended.  If the Virtual Controller goes down, there is an election and you can still manage the cluster using the virtual ip.  You need to enable "dynamic radius proxy" to make it so that your radius server always receives traffic from the Virtual Controller ip address.

Videos of Aruba Instant training can be located here:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL37Y-XxK6oanTV3821XpKHFVo3hGPW-56