Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP345 System light stays solid amber after fw 8.6 update...

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  IAP345 System light stays solid amber after fw 8.6 update...

Posted Jan 15, 2020 10:35 AM

Hello,

Weird problem popped up after last firmware update to 8.6.0.1_73707 in IAP345 access points.

AP system light remains amber after reboot which means that PoE is not in sufficient level. Tech-Support dump shows that ap has negotiated AF-power while switch is definetly PoE+ capable (JL356A) and there is plenty of power available still left.

Does somebody else has similar issues with 345's? Any idea how to fix this situation?

Power-related output of Tech-Support from one "Amber AP" follows:

Power Status
    ------------
    Item                        Value
    ----                        -----
    Power Supply                : POE-AT
    LLDP Power                  : Successfully negotiated at 25.5W
    Current Operational State   : USB power disabled;  (Overridden by LLDP)
    Eth0 HW POE status          : POE AF, LLDP power: 25.5W
    Eth1 HW POE status          : POE AF, LLDP power: 0.0W

Power Monitoring Information
    ----------------------------
    Current(mW)  Average(mW)  Minimum(mW)  Maximum(mW)
    -----------  -----------  -----------  -----------
    8516         8322         8203         9186

• 2.  RE: IAP345 System light stays solid amber after fw 8.6 update...
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2020 04:29 PM

I'm seeing the same thing running AP-345 on any 802.3at POE source with 8.6.0.2.

Strictly speaking the AP is restricted (USB port disabled) but the system LED should not be amber for that one. I'll work with our Engineering team to fix that.

The easy way to change the LED status to green is by turning on IPM. Unless the USB port is actually used, and sourcing max power, IPM will never actually apply any restrictions (so there's no real risk).

• 3.  RE: IAP345 System light stays solid amber after fw 8.6 update...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2020 04:54 PM

Thinking about this some more, I feel that the amber LED is actually valid. The AP is strictly speaking restricted (USB port is disabled), even if that restriction may not be relevant. Enabling IPM will remove the restriction and turn the LED green.

A similar situation applies to AP-305 and AP-505 when these are deployed with an 802.3af POE source.

• 4.  RE: IAP345 System light stays solid amber after fw 8.6 update...

Posted Jan 16, 2020 01:48 AM

Thanks for this information!

I noticed that there was no coverage or speed impact so I assumed that information from iap315 led status info sheet (usb disabled makes led amber..) was valid also in 345.

My 305's are NOT  affected and they seems to have double-green!?

But still it would be great to have fix for this one without enabling more features (system runs very smoothly right now ;) )

• 5.  RE: IAP345 System light stays solid amber after fw 8.6 update...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2020 01:56 AM

AP-305 or AP-315 operate without restrictions when powered by 802.3at POE, so the LED will be green on those. But the AP-345 has much higher performance and is more power hungry. When on 802.3at POE, the power budget may not be enough to guarantee full 5W delivery to an attached USB device.

Turning on IPM on AP-345 will not affect functionality or performance at all (especially when USB is not used), and the LED will turn green.

• 6.  RE: IAP345 System light stays solid amber after fw 8.6 update...

Posted Jan 21, 2020 07:46 PM

After upgrading our system to 8.6.0.2 we're seeing a lot of our 345's running in power restricted mode. The APs running in power restricted mode are connected to Juniper switches that are 802.3at capable (they were working fine with no restrctions before the 8.6.0.2 upgrade). The APs that are not in power restricted mode are connected to Cisco switches. I'm still doing more investigating but decided to search here and came across this thread.

• 7.  RE: IAP345 System light stays solid amber after fw 8.6 update...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2020 08:47 PM

With the latest code any AP-345 that is powered by an 802.3at POE source is expected to have a solid amber system LED when IPM is disabled.

That is to indicate that strictly speaking the AP is restricted, even though only the USB port is disabled.

Note that the same restriction applied in earlier code, but the LED may have been green.

I'm not sure why this would not be the case on your AP-345s that are connected to Cisco switches.

• 8.  RE: IAP345 System light stays solid amber after fw 8.6 update...

Posted Jan 23, 2020 11:29 AM

Onno, thanks for the clarification. I'm still not sure why the APs connected to the Cisco switches weren't showing the power restrictions although using the same AP system profile with IPM disabled.