Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Inactive users

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Inactive users

Posted Feb 28, 2018 11:55 AM

What is the benefit to my network if I enabled deauth inactive users?  We use Aruba IAPs.

• 2.  RE: Inactive users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2018 01:22 PM

Screenshot of the setting, please.

• 3.  RE: Inactive users

Posted Feb 28, 2018 02:50 PM
      |   view attached

Here is screen shot requested.

• 4.  RE: Inactive users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2018 03:09 PM

It would age out clients that are not active sooner.  Otherwise a client that has gone away and is not sending traffic will stay even longer in the user table.

• 5.  RE: Inactive users

Posted Feb 28, 2018 04:14 PM

Colin:

I understand that but is it any benefit to age them out.  Does it cut down on traffic? I guess I am asking why I would do this?

Tom

• 6.  RE: Inactive users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2018 04:56 PM

If they are inactive there is no traffic, but they show up in the user table.  It removes them from the user table.  That means you would only see clients in the user table that have been sending traffic, as opposed to users who have stopped sending traffic, but we never removed them.

• 7.  RE: Inactive users

Posted Jan 16, 2019 11:32 AM

Does it help to re-assign that inactive clients IP to the new device? I mean most of the time I see when we kick someone out from AP forcefully when they have trouble connecting to wi-fi, AP re-assigns the same IP to them whether it is 169.254 or correct IP from DHCP scope. I have noticed even people receive IP on their phone but says No internet.

• 8.  RE: Inactive users

Posted Jan 21, 2019 12:22 PM

Hi,

After enabling this de-auth inactive clients setting, I still see users connected to AP. I mean I myself switched on to the different network but I see myself iPhone on AP

• 9.  RE: Inactive users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 21, 2019 12:59 PM

If no traffic is seen from the client based on the seconds in the inactivity timer, the user will be removed from the user table.  Enabling the "deauth inactive users" parameter  means the access points will also send a deauth to those clients.

Clients are not removed immediately from the user table; the inactivity timer determines when users are removed.  Enabling the "deauth inactive users parameter" will also send a deauth to those clients, as well.

• 10.  RE: Inactive users

Posted Jan 21, 2019 04:28 PM

I have turned of Inactivity parameter on for inactive clients, now it shows 0 users on AP. but in that case, if they are updating something on background, I hope it would consider an activity.

• 11.  RE: Inactive users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 21, 2019 05:44 PM
    That parameter has no visible effect. It just sends a deauth to a client when it is aged out.