Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant AP DNS

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Instant AP DNS

Posted Dec 18, 2013 09:31 AM

I have been looking at one of Instant deployments and have noticed that although we are not specifying a DHCP address for virtual controller assigned client, they are using the default scope. My question is - what DNS server address are the clients using? they must be getting one from somewhere (CP redirect is working) - can they pick up an address other than via DHCP or can smart devices have a default. The are guest clients so probably using iPads etc.

• 2.  RE: Instant AP DNS
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2013 10:11 AM

If no DNS entry is specified, the clients will use the DNS server the IAP VC obtained from DHCP.

• 3.  RE: Instant AP DNS

Posted Dec 18, 2013 11:38 AM

Most of our customers have static addresses including this one, we have specified a static DNS address for the IAP so assume its inherited by the client. If nothing was specified I guess that would be a problem?

• 4.  RE: Instant AP DNS

Posted Dec 18, 2013 08:22 PM
    If the IAP is configured using a static DNS address then the client will also inherit that DNS address by default.