Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant AP spectrum load balancing

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Instant AP spectrum load balancing

Posted Apr 04, 2013 02:26 PM

Do Instant AP support spectrum load balancing?  I have a client with several Instant APs in their environment, and clients are not appropriately distributed.  I have APs with 60+ clients associated, and another with less than 10. 

In addition, I have band-steering on, which I assume I'll have to disable.  Does anyone know if channel/radio load balancing is available on the instants?

• 2.  RE: Instant AP spectrum load balancing

Posted Apr 05, 2013 09:48 AM

It sounds like it based on the snippet below:

ARM™ additionally offers priority traffic handling, channel load-balancing, band steering, airtime fairness and other quality-of-service (QoS) controls to ensure that the available Wi-Fi bandwidth is fairly distributed to all mobile devices on the WLAN.

• 3.  RE: Instant AP spectrum load balancing

Posted Apr 05, 2013 10:20 AM

Spectrum Load Balancing is currently not supported on Instant.  SLB, however, is coming in our next Major SW release.

• 4.  RE: Instant AP spectrum load balancing

Posted Apr 05, 2013 02:51 PM

Thanks Marcus, what is the time table on that release?

• 5.  RE: Instant AP spectrum load balancing

Posted Apr 05, 2013 02:53 PM

I don't have an exact date but it should be this month.

As usual, it will be posted to the TAC support site first the to the cloud update servers 4 - 6 weeks later.

• 6.  RE: Instant AP spectrum load balancing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 06, 2013 08:01 AM

@versatech wrote:

Do Instant AP support spectrum load balancing?  I have a client with several Instant APs in their environment, and clients are not appropriately distributed.  I have APs with 60+ clients associated, and another with less than 10. 

In addition, I have band-steering on, which I assume I'll have to disable.  Does anyone know if channel/radio load balancing is available on the instants?

Versatech,

You might want to look at your design to see what you can do to possible improve on that.  Load Balancing can be introduced in any system to influence clients, but ultimately the clients make the decisons.  Your job is to make an overwhelming case that the client will decide to connect where you want it to.

Make sure you put your access points as close to your clients as possible and ensure that you have natural attenuators like walls and ceilings to ensure that clients only see and favor access points they were meant to connect to.  If you don't want clients outside of an area to connect to an access point, make it less attractive vertically and horizontally.  Just because an access point is closer to a client, does not mean the signal strength or quality is better.  Measure the signal strength of that access point that users never seem to connect to;  there might be a hidden obstacle that is making it less attractive like metal in walls or brick.  That access point in the room in the floor below might be seen much better than the access point across the hall...