Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant Guest Portal not showing

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Instant Guest Portal not showing

Posted Feb 08, 2020 06:24 AM

Hi, got some problem here. Instant Guest network is working fine on iphone and several samsung phone, but on several Xiaomi phone the portal for authentication not showing, browsing showing certificate error HSTS not accepted (Lets Encrypt). 
    what confuse me that the certificate is accepted well on iPhone

• 2.  RE: Instant Guest Portal not showing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2020 01:24 PM

In your case it seems the Xiaomi does not detect the presence of a captive portal automatically. When you open the browser instead, you most likely have a default start page like configured  that is using HTTPS like https://www.google.com.

The HSTS error the way of the browser informing you that you are trying to open a page called "www.google.com" but instead you receive a response from a webserver (your captive portal kicking in) that has a server certificate issued to a different name.

Depending on the type of mobile device, there different ways for the device to detect the presence of a captive portal. Most OS perform a HTTP check to avoid the HSTS problem, that should trigger the captive portal redirect.

Unfortunately I have seen many cases where certain Android-based devices (often from more cost-effective vendors) do not properly detect the presence of a captive portal. Most of the times you can only try a software update or fall back to browsing to a HTTP site. Normally, Chrome and Firefox mobile browsers work well in that regard to automatically detect and trigger the captive-portal. I.e. Firefox uses an HTTP connection to http://detectportal.firefox.com/

• 3.  RE: Instant Guest Portal not showing

Posted Feb 09, 2020 08:46 PM

thanks owehrli thats should explain, any suggestion on how to handle this cause nowadays this "cost effective" vendor become majority user on our network. I use instant guest captive portal with enhanced open ticked on.