Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Instant Mesh

Hi Jerrod

I followed the instructions and at the moment both IAP-387 are in proper mode 

One as Mesh Portal and second as Mesh point.

Both have the same cluster name and keys.

However they don't see each other in RF link, even located in the same room one in front of other.

show ap mesh link and show ap mesh neighbour produce NULL output.

How can I debug radio communication?

Occasional Contributor I

Hi aralelib,

I was in the same situation - I decided to follow a hunch and upgrade the firmware.  I started with the mesh point AP  - though the upgrade process was a hassle since I wasn't able to communicate with it via the eth0 port and IP I thought I had set.  I also didn't have DHCP server running at the outbuilding where I was deploying the mesh point AP and was lazy, not wanting to trot it back to the main site.  So I ended up factory resetting, allowing it to fully boot (takes a while and you want to let it finish, and then connecting to it using the default IP that results after it times out DHCP (in my case 169.254.207.166).  I was connected to another ethernet port on the same switch that I placed in the same isolated VLAN I intended to use for the standalone mesh.  I connected to the web GUI, logged in with admin/admin (though this took a while - the credentials will fail at first until fully booted). My only purpose in connecting to the web GUI was to ascent to the the country question (US in my case) and upgrade the firmware from the stock 8.4.0.0 to 8.5.0.2 (Hercules by the way). I'm sure I could have done it via TFTP, etc. but this was easiest for me. Note: there was no 'SetMeUp-<MAC>' SSID to connect to.  I don't believe the AP-387's do that, so wired connection was my only option (that I could see). 

Anyway, the reason for this long narrative is that after the firmware update, I went through the procedure again as described by Jerrod....and voila, the mesh came right up.  Tagged my VLAN's at each end (untagged is my isolated mesh VLAN), and all good.  Interestinging, I did not upgrade the mesh portal AP, it is still running 8.4.0.0, no changes.  I probably will upgrade it, but my 'fix' only required upgrading the firmware on mesh point AP.

All I can surmise is that until location regulatory requirement is met, confirming country and/or loading current DRT file with the firmware update, the radios aren't activated?

A couple of small tweaks/additions to Jerrod's excellent directions:

I issued 'saveenv' after the initial setenv commands

On the Mesh Point only instructions, need to go into config mode: 

conf t

wired-port-profile default_wired_port_profile

trusted

no shutdown

type employee

exit

exit

....the second 'exit' gets you back to AP ENV  *then* you can issue:

enet0-bridging

commit apply

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks a lot for reply.

It really helps.

Very strange, that Aruba deliver new product with outdated version 8.4.0.0 which has bugs and doesn't work out-of-the box.

Regards

It's not possible to keep all APs in inventory, distro, VADs and VARs on the latest code. When you default an AP (with the EXCEPTION of the 387) you have to make sure you create a VAP (2.4Ghz only, hidden is what I do), otherwise when the AP reboots, it defaults since it doesn't see a VAP, even if you created a mesh cluster or enabled mesh in the VC.

Country code is part of the initial setup as well, so without a VAP and it reboots, the radios are off until defined. It's a huge pain, but it's apparently something we cannot avoid.

Jerrod Howard
Distinguished Technologist, TME
Highlighted
Guru Elite

@aralelib wrote:

Thanks a lot for reply.

It really helps.

Very strange, that Aruba deliver new product with outdated version 8.4.0.0 which has bugs and doesn't work out-of-the box.

Regards

I don't think the manufacturer can upgrade code in a sealed box.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: